Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 548 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
But you can't focus on the 'one time in many' that it doesn't work out. I grieved for Moose and ponded the whole "rescue" thing when it happened. But you know, you guys here helped me see though that dark day, especially a post by DJA.
DJA said:
This is why animal services work can be so hard on the people who take on this labor of love. The human capacity for heartlessness and cruelty to these wonderful creatures is something that's impossible to understand. Not everyone who walks upright is fully human. No other way to explain it.
Something about that post got me through that day. I kept on, and because of it more Saints have found their way to a good home. No, I'm not saying I did it alone, far from the case, but the Element was the transport vehicle. Which is what this thread is all about. So, let's go and hit on a much happier note.

Some of you remember a very special lady saint named, Molly. She was picked up as a stray in the eastern part of North Carolina. Sadly, the shelter she was placed in was one of the 'kill shelters' in our area. After just a few days, the county is allowed to 'dispose' of any stays. When we first learned of Molly, she had three days to get out or - well not.

Anyone who works rescue knows that sometimes it is very difficult to coordinate transportation for shelter pulls. We worked frantically to make it happen for this girl, only to see it unravel the evening before she was 'out of time'. It came down to either admitting defeat, or drastic measures. Those that know me personally know that I'm not really one to roll over and admit defeat. So it was time for drastic measures.

Since it was a five hour drive to the shelter from my house, and they opened their doors at 8:30am, I figured if I left home at 2:30 am and drove straight there, I would have plenty of time. Of course, having vacation days available didn't hurt the decision either. Bottom line, I went across the state, pulled the sweet thing litterly minutes before she would have been "otherwise disposed".

We drove from the shelter directly to the rescue's vet's office, where Molly started on her long road to recovery. The day was just the beginning of the emotional roller coaster ride this lady put us through.

I won't go into the details, but those that are interested I have a page set up that tells her story.

The quick story, it was a happy ending, and she is living with a very lovely family about an hour's drive from me. I actually had the pleasure of being at the adoption. Even though it was a very emotional time, we knew that she was finally found that forever home.

Looking back, I ask myself - "Would you do it again?" without a doubt, and I have, but that is another post. :)

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Ok my website's back up so here goes...

One day when I came home, my wife runs up and says "I found an Aussie for us!" After I recovered from a bit of confusion, I inquired as to where this doggy is. Of course the dog's an hour and a half away. Of course we've never seen it. But me being the sucker I am said sure. So we called up the lady in charge of the rescue and filled out all of the adoption paperwork. It was a lot of details, such as "what kind of shedding do you expect from your dog?" which I thought was particularly funny. I guess though that they do get people wanting to adopt who expect no pet hair ever. Strange...

Anyway we finally got approved so we headed up to Minneapolis in my dad's Jeep (sorry I know this is an Element thread but this is before I had one!) We got to the rescue lady's house and were introduced to a scraggly, terrified 8 month old Aussie girl. She was absolutely petrified of us and everything else in the world. We let her be on her own in the corner and sat and talked for a while, going over her Aussie behavior, care, etc. etc., all of which was old news to me but gave her a chance to quiet down. I ended up winning her over a tiny bit by offering all she could eat treats. Boy was that a big mistake...but I wouldn't find that out til later.

We did learn that she was a rescue from Ohio. Not too many specific details were known but they did know that she had been locked in a shed with her mom and the rest of her litter for 8 months. They were let out once a day to go to the bathroom and then locked back in. From what we know, after 8 months the owner got tired of feeding the litter and took the whole lot of them including the mom to the vet to be killed. The vet obviously refused but took them in and gave them basic medical care, spay/neutering, shots, etc. and turned them over to ARPH. In the intervening week this particular Aussie had been shuttled from Ohio to MN and was getting more and more a basket case every day. She needed some stability!

We finally decided we should get going home so we loaded her up (with much difficulty since she was still terrified) in the crate already prepared in the car and headed on back to Rochester. Of course after about 15 minute, she's so scared she throws up all the treats I'd been feeding her in the crate. We pull over and clean it up, get another blanket for the crate, and continue on the way. Well about 30 minutes later she does a repeat performance. This time we didn't have another blanket so we cleaned the second one off as best we could, flipped it over, and continued with the trip...

We finally made it home and unloaded our thoroughly petrified girl, got her up the steps, and in the front door. Now this dog has never met cats before so I was a little leery at first. Well no sooner had we set foot inside the door than our little grey brainless fuzzball kitty comes streaking through the house and runs up to the new dog, meowing and squeaking, sniffs her muzzle, headbutts her, and greatly confuses the poor thing. The aussie stood there with this REALLY confused look on her face as if to say "WTF is this? It kinda looks like a squirrel but it doesn't SMELL like one...??" Luckily she has little prey drive and ended up loving cats in the end :D

The "therapy" of getting her used to the world took a LONG time and I don't think it'll ever be complete. It was probably 3 weeks before we could come in the same room as her and she wouldn't run in the corner, curl up in a ball, and shake uncontrollably. Finally she learned to trust us a bit but she still didn't like the house and she had no idea what to do with stairs. The latter was solved by hooking her up on the leash and dragging her up & down the stairs a few times. All of a sudden it was like "Oh that's what you want me to do? That's easy!" and she's never had a second's hesitation on stairs again.

Every time we'd go for a walk (which was about 6-7 times a day, me being unemployed at the time) she would pee 2 steps out the door because she was used to never knowing when she'd get another chance. After about 2 months or so, she decided the house was home. Unfortunately this meant she didn't want to leave. EVER. So going for walks changed to dragging her out the door, and down the street, then getting dragged back down the street as soon as we turned around. Eventually she got over this and other somewhat strange behaviors (such as being terrified of snowmen and running water) and she's gradually turned into the sassy wigglebutt we knew she would be.

She still doesn't like new situations but once she figures out what she's supposed to do she's perfectly fine. She did turn out to be quite the big girl though, tipping the scales at 55 lbs trim and fit (most female Aussies run around 35-40 lbs or so).

Anyway here's the princess and her old sugar daddy not too long before I got the E:

I have more pics of them actually IN the E but for they're not up on the web right now. I'll try to load them up tonight. And my E is doing good because I haul her around everywhere and treat her like the spoiled princess she deserves to be :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There's a new book coming out called Fifteen Legs by Bonnie Silva. It's about rescue and transport volunteers. I don't know anything about it beyond what I read on the Web page (link below), but it sounds like it has a chance to be good. At this link there is an opportunity to advance order and receive a 20% discount.

http://www.riverbankpress.com/fl.html

And here are some pics of Annie, my foster puppy.

Woofs!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
All of you who rescue animals are wonderful. I have done rescue work in a veterinary capacity but not to the scale of some of you guys. Wow. It's great to know that all of you are out there making a difference.

I've supported Samoyed rescue and some groups (like Noah's Wish http://www.noahswish.org/) that helped out with Hurricane Katrina, but confess to not doing enough.

But you are doing something. And that in itself is good. I can't do a whole lot now but every bit does help.
I went down for two weeks after the hurricanes and Noah's Wish was one group that really knew their stuff.

My aussie is a rescue herself, coming from being raised her first 8 months locked in a shed with her mom and the rest of her litter. She was physically healthy but a mental wreck and it took around a year before she started acting like a normal dog all the time.

I'd post pics but my site is down :( I'll see if I can put one up later.

In the meantime, I'll put in a plug for ARPH (Aussie Rescue and Placement Helpline). They do great work and they're very careful with their placement of the wigglebutts.

My husband and I rescued a deaf and partially blind "lethal white" Aussie a couple of years ago. I have seen some of the GA ARPH rescues online but haven't been able to help out like I want. I hope that I will be able to do some Aussie rescue in the near future when my husband is through with school. We did do a leg on a transport of another "lethal white" last month and I hope to do more as I can. The transports are at least something I can do.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Those are some great rescue stories!!!!!!!!!! My three hounds came from a rescue orginization. I would like to do more to help hounds without homes. I'll have to look into ways that I can become more involved.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My wife and I have been using our E for rescue transporting but I don't think we have any pics of them in the E. I'll have to start taking some to post. We have 2 fosters right now and we own 2 rescue dogs. I should also mention that we have 2 rescue cats in our home and a large feral cat colony on our property.
Here's a pic of the wife with our 2 dogs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Twi, what a wonderful story about your "Wigglebutt". The sugar daddy and spoiled princess look right at home in their E.

AtomicBlueCollie...I am in love with that pup.

Inkspot...can't wait to see photos of your rescues and her their tails (pun intended)

-g

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Time for another one! Meet Benny (or junior as we called him in rescue). He lost his home due to a divorce. Sadly, this is an all too common reason that Saints enter rescue.

Junior was a 7 month old young lad, just tipping the scales at 78 lbs (and he was small for his age). He spent about three weeks in rescue, landing that forever home by the time he was just over 8 months old.

Junior stayed with us for a few days, so he got to ride in the Element a bit more than most of the rescue dogs do.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Junior is a short haired saint. Boomer (our saint) in the back is a long hair.

The saints were originally a short hair coat, mainly to keep the snow and ice from building up on them when they were in the alps doing rescue.

Junior (short hair saint)

Boomer - long hair saint

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I didn't know there were short-haired Saints either! That's what I hear all of the time with my dogs -- lots of people aren't aware that smooth (short-coat) collies exist.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Time for another one. This is Savannah (named after our granddaughter). I picked her up from a local shelter - she lost her home because she got "too big" :twisted: :???:

It really is amazing how many large breed dogs get 'dumped' after the little puppy gets a little bigger... :mad:

Anyway, it's all good now, she has the home she needed all along. Life is good.

More info on her is in her petfinder bio.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don't mind me. I just follow Twilight around and agree with his posts.

I love dogs.

I want a dog.

It will be a rescued dog.

But I need to get a place for said dog first.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
New Foster

Heeeere's Frankie!

. . . who lived his whole life up until this point in a kennel. Now he's going for daily walks, playing with my girls in the back yard, and trying out toys and treats that are all new to him. He's sweet as pie and will make an awesome buddy for whoever is lucky enough to adopt him.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 548 Posts