Honda Element Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 548 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Time for a special post, considering today is the first anniversary of my physically pulling that first dog from a shelter for the Saint bernard Rescue. I thought about posting all the dogs I've transported in one posting, but to be honest with you, I quit counting when I got to 26. Not too bad for a year, huh?

Anyway, in honor of the first lady saint I pulled (who was Missy and posted earlier) may I present Bob Smith.

041907_0759.jpg
Bob just after sunrise outside of Knoxville, TN.

His story is unique and to be honest one that I hope to never have to do again - but the truth be told I would in a heartbeat.

His story started just like so many before him, an email describing him and the fact that he had a very limited amount of time for something to be dome. Somehow, these big guys always seem to draw the short straw when room gets tight. :sad:

Anyway, we worked things and had a volunteer in Frankfort pick "Bob" up from the shelter just prior to his time being up. I was scheduled to drive up to Kentucky in three days (that Saturday) and bring Bob back to North Carolina.

I received a phone call about 7:00pm from the volunteer who pulled "Bob" for us, and in tears she said that she could not deal with him - he slobbered all over everything and was huge! She would have to return him in the morning.

Long story short, I told her if she could hang on, I would be there in about six or seven hours and pick him up. She agreed and I left at 7:30 on what would turn out to be the first 1,000 mile plus transport for NCSBR. (Notice I said first - not last - but that is another story.)

041907_1240a.jpg
Bob, enjoying a rest area along I-26 outside of Hendersonville, NC

I drove from Shelby to Frankfort KY that night and loaded Bob into the Element at 2:45am. (an accident had the interstate closed for about an hour just outside of Lexington). We then turned and headed for North Carolina.

We stopped every now and then to stretch our legs, drink some water, and well get rid of that water. Every time, Bob was the perfect gentleman. I do admit freely, that Bob is one of the worst slobbering Saint Bernard I have ever seen. But in a cute kinna way. :)

041907_1242a.jpg
Bob, enjoying the lush grass at a rest area along I-26 outside of Hendersonville, NC

I wound up going half way to Fayetteville before I could meet up with another transporter to carry Bob on in to the rescue.

I didn't get home till about 4:00pm that evening. Looking back on it, I guess it wasn't the brightest thing I have ever done, on the road 21 hours (after working 9 hours mind you) and putting 1,007.5 miles on the Element, all for a big slobbery dog. Would I do it again? You bet, and I have - tell ya about it another time.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Man, oh man, or dog, oh dog. I've been reading these dog rescue stories this morning and I am so moved. I love dogs -grew up with a long haired collie named Duchess. I saw the picture of Frankie and now I'm in tears. I want Frankie but can't have a dog yet, not until we get a house with a yard for a dog to run in.

My new element comes in next week. I might look into dog transport like you wonderful people are doing. Thanks for the great stories.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Atomic,
Frankie is gorgeous. I can't believe he lived his whole life in a kennel. Thanks for giving him a life and well deserved lovin'

-g

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Double fun.

Sometimes things work out where we can transport a couple of Saints in one trip. This is a story of one of those times.

I picked the first pup up early in the morning, shortly after daylight. I met the owner not 5 miles from my house. The pup was being turned over to rescue, because he was 'too big' and scared the owner's customers at his business. I was required to temperament test the dog, and make the decision if this dog was even suitable to enter rescue.

The dog was in good physical shape,and had the typical great disposition saint bernards are famous for. He passed the tests without any concern. So we brought "Cooley" as he would be called into rescue then and there.

Cooley the day he entered rescue
cooley_05_19_07.JPG

We then departed on a four hour drive to Charleston, SC to pick up another stray saint that found his way to a shelter.

Charleston Bridge
charleston_bridge_02.JPG

This second saint who we dubbed "Newport" was not quite in as good condition as "Cooley". He had clearly been on his own for a while, he needed a good bath, vet care, and of course a few good meals. Amazingly, this guy tested negative for the all so typical heartworm disease here in the south. A trip to the groomers for a much overdue bath and overall 'make over', some TLC, routine vet work, and Newport was well on the road to being adopted.

Newport, after being in rescue a few weeks.
newport.jpg

The two of these guys both found homes, Cooley is now a resident of the Virgina Beach area, while Newport lives in Northern Indiana.

I helped transport Newport on his trip to his forever home and was so proud to see how well he looked, compared to that half starved, dirty, patches of hair missing, pup I originally met.

Newport on his way to his forever home.
newport_home.jpg

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Heeeere's Frankie!

. . . who lived his whole life up until this point in a kennel. Now he's going for daily walks, playing with my girls in the back yard, and trying out toys and treats that are all new to him. He's sweet as pie and will make an awesome buddy for whoever is lucky enough to adopt him.
Just wanted to say Hi to my "neighbor". Good job you are doing there! I would really love to adopt a Collie but I still have my old puppy (rescued came from Italy with me). I am afraid that without my hubby I would have quite some rescued dogs in my apt.

Good luck to everybody in finding the forever home for the dogs!

Saints are great!!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Another E to the Rescue

I have been a member of ESRA for about a year. Up to this point my involvement has been just donating money. I have two Springer’s of my own and I really love the breed.

I bought an E 6 weeks ago and joined the EOC. This thread has made me decide to get off my butt and do more. I decided that if bh241 can rescue 200 lbs dogs with his E then I should have no trouble rescuing 50 lbs dogs with my E. Last week we became a foster home for Springer’s in need through ESRA.

I would like to introduce you to NAN. She is a 16 month old ESS who has had a rough life. She has been neglected and was feed about 3 times a week. She is a very sick little girl with ear infections and recovering from kennel cough. My dogs have made her feel welcome but she is a little spooked at strange noises. She is very gentle like most Springer’s and follows me around with the other dogs. I don’t think she has ever been inside a house but she has taken to house living very well. Anyway here she is and what an awesome Springer!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
That post just made my day.

Thank you for deciding to help the little ones. :)

While it's a good thing to donate money to a worthy rescue/shelter, there's nothing quite like seeing that look in the eyes of a very needy pup to make one feel 'human'.

I look forward to seeing more stories of your future rescue/transports.

You done good, thank you.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have been a member of ESRA for about a year. Up to this point my involvement has been just donating money. I have two Springer’s of my own and I really love the breed.

I bought an E 6 weeks ago and joined the EOC. This thread has made me decide to get off my butt and do more. I decided that if bh241 can rescue 200 lbs dogs with his E then I should have no trouble rescuing 50 lbs dogs with my E. Last week we became a foster home for Springer’s in need through ESRA.

I would like to introduce you to NAN. She is a 16 month old ESS who has had a rough life. She has been neglected and was feed about 3 times a week. She is a very sick little girl with ear infections and recovering from kennel cough. My dogs have made her feel welcome but she is a little spooked at strange noises. She is very gentle like most Springer’s and follows me around with the other dogs. I don’t think she has ever been inside a house but she has taken to house living very well. Anyway here she is and what an awesome Springer!
Good luck with the Springers!!! They are sweet.
Now I am helping American Humane by donating money but I hope in the future I will be able to do more and put some of my time in. :)

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've logged far more miles helping with Rescue Transport than I can even begin to calculate. And the sad thing here is, I have no photos of my charges to show for it. :-|

BUT, that will change today! I got a call Wednesday to help a dog that had 3 days to live. We got a reprive Saturday till this evening and fighting like a 'Pit bull with a locked jaw' **complete sarcasm here guys* I have found this boy a home!!

Meet Magnus!

He's a 5yr old Pit bull who's owners, after 5 yrs, abandoned him at the Vet's office where he's been a client for, yeap you guessed, the last 5 yrs. :neutral:

I will update with a photo of Magnus in the E this evening on our journey from Springfield, VA to Woodstock, VA.

Do us a favor, keep your fingers crossed that Magnus and his new K9 pal hit it off!!

Kerri

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I've logged far more miles helping with Rescue Transport than I can even begin to calculate. And the sad thing here is, I have no photos of my charges to show for it. :-|

BUT, that will change today! I got a call Wednesday to help a dog that had 3 days to live. We got a reprive Saturday till this evening and fighting like a 'Pit bull with a locked jaw' **complete sarcasm here guys* I have found this boy a home!!

He's a 5yr old Pit bull who's owners, after 5 yrs, abandoned him at the Vet's office where he's been a client for, yeap you guessed, the last 5 yrs. :neutral:

I will update with a photo of Magnus in the E this evening on our journey from Springfield, VA to Woodstock, VA.

Do us a favor, keep your fingers crossed that Magnus and his new K9 pal hit it off!!

Kerri
Well done Kerri!!! It is so nice to hear stories with a happy ending. This guy is so cute (with those "puppy eyes"):)

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Meet Magnus!

Kerri
Of course they'll hit it off, they have a great Element owner backing them :D

I love the eyes too!

But seriously...I hope that's not your shower! My GOD, your fashion sense offends me if it is! :???: :lol:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Good luck with the transport Kerri.

Look forward to seeing the pictures.

:)

Elements doing good - I like this thread. :)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
But seriously...I hope that's not your shower! My GOD, your fashion sense offends me if it is! :???: :lol:
:rolleyes: What is wrong with my shower? :twisted:

No, Seriously, it's sadly the kennel at the vets office. :neutral:

·
Registered
74 Posts

Meet Magnus!

Kerri
Magnus is ADORA-BULL!!!

Congrats on finding him a home.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Morning folks,

As promised, here are my transport pics from yesterday. Magnus was such the joy and farter I might add :twisted:. LOL

He got in and farted, he laid down and farted on me, and then he sat down and farted. LOL I couldn't tell if he was comfortable with me or nervous. LOLOL

Last one, he snuck in a kiss on this one!

And here we are together saying 'soo long friend'.

Magnus found a home in less than 3 days time. Completely unusual for the breed, his age and the fact that he was placed in a 'same sex' home.

I've already heard from his new pop and things are working out well. :D Keep your fingers crossed for him though, the odds are stacked against him.

E On!

Kerri

·
Registered
69 Posts
To be a foster or not to be….

That is the question I have wrangled with for about a year. I decided last week that my excuses for not fostering, although seemingly logical, were really no excuse at all. Some of you may have read my previous post in this very thread about Nan, my first and current foster dog. I have only been a foster dog Dad for 5 days but I can tell you without question I am in the middle of one of the most rewarding experiences of my 42 years.

This post is ment for those of you who think you would like to foster but, like I did, don’t think you can foster a dog in need. My reasons for not fostering:
1. I leave for work at 6:00 AM and return at 6:00 PM. Gone 12 hrs a day. I thought a foster dog needed someone around all day. It would not be fair to the foster dog.
2. A foster dog that is sick might get my dogs sick. This would not be fair to my dogs.
3. I can’t handle another dog. This is not fair to me.
4. What if my dogs do not get along with the foster dog? This is not fair to all parties.

These reasons may sound logical but now that I have gone ahead and fostered I can tell you these reasons are hog wash. If you have to be gone 12 hrs a day and you leave the foster dog with plenty of food, fresh water, and shade they will most likely be 100 times better off than where they were before they arrived at you home. If your dogs are healthy and current on all of their annual booster shots then they should be fine. Yes you can handle one more dog. When you find out for your self just how much these pups want to love and be loved you will want 2 or 3 more. If the dogs don’t get along then be the pack leader and let them all know who is running the show.

If you are sending money to a rescue you are doing a great thing. The dogs cannot get the vet care they need without money. But if you are on the fence about fostering I say go ahead and try it once. If it is not for you then you will know for sure and you won’t be on the fence any more.

I have said it before and I will again. What kicked me off the fence was all of bh241’s posts in this thread saving his big awesome Saint’s. I could no longer sit idly by while Springer’s were dying when I could easily get off my butt and do something. Springers will still die but my foster will not be one of them.

If you are still on the fence about fostering a dog in need and this post did not help then check this thread out this weekend and read my update on Nan. I know bh241 is frothing at the mouth like one of his big ol St. Bernard’s to read it and see the new pictures of my sweet girl Nan.:)

Sammy

41 - 60 of 548 Posts