Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking through the mileage threads and noticed a lot of people have well over 200 or even 300K miles on their E. What have you had to replace at that mileage, or is everything still like new on it? Crazy amount of miles for sure. :shock::shock:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just turned 324K on my 2003. Outside of tires, brakes, oil changes, I had to replace both the master and slave cylinders to my MT. I am also on my 2nd set of spark plugs. Everything else is original.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just turned 324K on my 2003. Outside of tires, brakes, oil changes, I had to replace both the master and slave cylinders to my MT. I am also on my 2nd set of spark plugs. Everything else is original.
Now, that's awesome! Notice any huge power loss after that many miles? Also, do you use any oil additives to keep the engine running good?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My '05 has 263k on it now.

Lots and lots of fluids and filters. I do a single drain and fill cycle of the automatic transmission fluid every 15k-20k miles.
Replaced the battery twice (last time was just last fall).
Lots of tires.
Lots of windshield wipers.
A few sets of brake pads and a new set of rotors all the way around last fall.
One new serpentine belt.
One new radiator cap.

Actual "repairs", as opposed to what I consider maintenance items:
New bushings on rear stabilizer bar. Don't remember exact cost, but probably around $10 for the parts.
New Intake Air Control Valve at 80k miles. Old one was sticking and rather than try to clean it, I just replaced it. $130 IIRC, and maybe a couple of hours to put it in? It's been a while so I'm not certain about the cost or time involved, but it's somewhere in that ballpark.

Love this car!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
226k on my 08 EX AWD
Commuter vehicle across city of Houston for some 7+ years now.

2 Electric Cooling fans, All other just routine maintenance.

Was about to sell but gonna keep it another year. About to:
- Replace Transmission...slowly failing, but still getting down the road.
- Let Honda shop (I usually steer clear of them) update the recalls (Never took it in for rear wheel suspension back in '10 and there's that pesky airbag thing that has now popped up)
- New Tires; Have averaged about 80k+ per set of tires; Something has come up with right front tire getting eaten up recently. Either lost my alignment thanks to a pothole, have a suspension part that has weakened (doubtful), or could it be the slowly failing tranny drive messing with it? Will see...
- Replace orig Windshield; some 27 bullseye rock scars and 2 big cracks over the miles and years
- Switch out all fluids
- Brake job all around (I've averaged some 90k per set of brake pads on front, 125k on rears, 1 set of front rotors...mighty good record IMO)
- Replace front headlight housings; Passenger side glazed over from road scratches...would just assume update and replace.
- Replace some burned out dash lights

And...I'll hopefully have another year or two without car payments. Ain't glamorous but gets the job done every day. And I'm hard pressed to find anything that does so much -- drive about anywhere, carry most stuff, kid carrier, etc -- without getting a stiff upgrade in costs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
200-300 mile Elements

Hi everybody

I just turned 225,000 on my 03 yesterday.

I keep all the fluids changed per the manual and always used Honda fluids. Maybe you don't believe that's necessary to use the Honda stuff but, I think it has for my E.
I just had the ORIGINAL radiator replaced, and only my 2nd anti freeze change as a result. Had the ORIGINAL starter replaced last year. Had the ORIGINAL ball joints done winter of 2013.

I've been through 3 batteries, 2 windshield washer pumps, just put in my 2nd set of spark plugs ( and they looked great ), changed the ORIGINAL serpentine belt about 3 years ago. Been through at least 3 sets of rotors, one front caliper and one rear. And I think 4 or 5 sets of tires ( get Yokohama Geolander's ! ).

Needless to say, I still love this car and I'm gonna keep it as long as I can ! Good luck with yours !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very encouraging post, as we have no plans of parting with our 2004 Honda Element anytime soon, and she's just shy of 173K, with nearly all original parts, aside from tires, brakes battery and any recalls, of course.

(As a sidebar, we just installed a GM Crate Motor in our '96 Chevy Suburban, at the 249K mark, though we're not the first Owner, quite likely the 3rd or 4th, best guess).

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
226k on my 08 EX AWD
Commuter vehicle across city of Houston for some 7+ years now.

- Replace front headlight housings; Passenger side glazed over from road scratches...would just assume update and replace.
Bowzer, FWIW, put some of that "clear bra" material over your replacement lens and you'll never have scratching or hazing on the plastic lens again. Might be the best thing I ever invested in was to cover the nose of the car when it was new with this stuff. Just a measly 80k miles for me, but not a chip scratch or haze on the front end.

Keep adding to that clock, and keeping the E healthy! Awesome!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda Element 300k

Just looking through the mileage threads and noticed a lot of people have well over 200 or even 300K miles on their E. What have you had to replace at that mileage, or is everything still like new on it? Crazy amount of miles for sure. :shock::shock:
My element just hit 300k. Needed head rebuilt at 204k. Also had new fuel injectors installed during head rebuild
Original clutch went at 220k
Needed new radiator and ac fan at 290k
Replaced clutch master and slave cylinders at 210 k
Other than that nothing else has been changed.
Runs great just burns about a quart of oil every 3k

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am considering purchasing an RV with an '04 Element for the tow car. It has 300K miles. The owner has kept up with all normal maintenance. In anyone's opinion. Is this a good buy? I will be driving it in Mexico this winter. He is asking $3000 for the car.
Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
;nm

I've got 391,000 on mine. Really no problems other than normal wear and tear until now. Oil cojmpression issues I've got to figure out. There's a valve/filter (very small) that sometimes won't open properly (very short term) which causes a little lurch in acceleration. It can get clogged but I'm under the impression that if you keep the oil level up it won't be a problem. I'm going to switch to a synthetic high mileage blend to see if that helps. I've had 3 or 4 batteries, replace cooling fans, radiator, and starter. Car has been good to me until now and i hope I can get fixed as a new engine is more than the car is worth. My only advice is to keep your fluid levels up especially the oil. Not quite as much power now but I'm not in a hurry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts