I have
-Jumper cables
-First aid kit
-Slime tire sealnt
-Compressor

·
Registered
541 Posts
Man, I am a slacker. The only tools that I carry came with the E. I do have a car charger for the iPod and a car charger for the cell, but that is it.

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
I carry quite a bit of safety equipment due to the fact that I am often so far away from civilization. I carry:
jumper cables
tow rope
first aid kit
rescue breather
a couple of flashlights
and a handheld GPS

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have some emergency kit i bought somewhere lol

- Jumper cables
- Air gauge/ compressor combo
- Ratchet with 5 different sockets for any lugsize
- flashlight
- flares & Reflective triangle
- Cotton Gloves
& some other stuff
it was a great deal for like 19.99

I threw in some emergency $ just in case i'm not near an ATM and have to bribe someone for a ride to get help :)

i'm also thinking of putting in an additional cell phone battery for either the bag for the glovebox JUST IN CASE

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or one of those cell boost battery extenders.... i also need to get a towing rope, maby one of those mountian climbing ropes, because there really strong

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Not too long ago there was a thread with a title something like 'what's in your Element'. Some of those lists included emergency tools along with assorted dog gear.

There was a gear thread in the off-road section.

paulj

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Many, many years ago I drove around with enough tools to do a complete engine overhaul on the spot. No kidding.

Then I started driving Hondas. :razz:

Seriously, I only keep a jumper cable in the car now. In the thinking about it, since putting in the bigger battery early this year there's no real reason for the jumper cables, either, beyond their "good Samaritan" value.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Do you mean that a dog's water bottle isn't an emergency tool?

My list did include tools, things like tire guage, air compressor, jumper cables, tire repair kit, small set of socket wrenches. I may have omited the spare valve caps, some hose clamps, zip ties, spring clamps, roof rack screws and bolts. Some things end up in my kit because I needed them at sometime or other in some 20 years of owning a car. For example I've had the nozzle of my air compressor break so I have a spare. Others are tools that I've used when making modifications to the car such my roof rack or interior platform. I also have stuff that probably isn't needed about town, but could be valuable if stuck 50 miles down some gravel road.

paulj

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Besides jumper cables for the Good Samaritan thing Mike mentioned? One (durable) container, capable of being securely capped, that's larger than the capacity of my bladder. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Kits

My brother gave me a Car & Driver emergency kit a few years back that I faithfully carry on board. Very compact and nicely packaged in a box that doubles as a reflector triangle. Never even opened it though. Aside from the kit I carry a can of fix-flat, a hydraulic pump and some road flares (even though they are useless in the rainy NW). Now that you mention it, I guess I should carry some jumpers, given what I have heard about the E's battery. These might already be inside the Car & Driver kit. Basically a cell phone is the best tool if you are within range. All my car emergencies have happened on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere. Thank god for good friends.

·
Registered
755 Posts
For some odd reason I still have the two flares that came with my first car. But they sit in a box in the garage.

Nowadays my kit consists of a cell phone.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wow, I feel so unprepared. I guess I'd better pick up some of those things in case of emergency soon unless a big extra unopened bag of Holloween Nestle Crunch can be considered emergency gear, ha ha.

I use to carry a construction shovel in the trunk on my car for snow because I had summer performance tires all year round in Chicago due to laziness. I haven't seen and don't know where that shovel went after I bought the element. I can't wait till the snow really start coming down to test out that realtime AWD.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I was just out walking the dog this evening when I came across a couple of ladies trying to position a jack under their SUV. Since I had a flashlight with me (I'm walking the dog, at night, remember) I was able to shed a bit of light on the situation. The jack point was on a lower control arm well under the car, and well out of sight of the street light. I also help figure out how to rig the jack's crank.

So based on some recent experience I would say emergency tool priorities are:

tire gauge
air compressor
flashlight
tire changing tools (practice using them)
paper towels and handwipes
something to kneel or lay on when working beside or under the car
more if you travel away from civilization ...

paulj

·
Registered
65 Posts
I carry jumper cables and my HAM radio. That thing can get through where cell-phones can't. I've already given 3 cars jumps and the Element is still holding up well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I dont carry jumper cables but I do carry those portable battery packs, along with many other items. Including, Yaesu VX7-R handi talkie, breakerbar/speed handle, 20 lbs co2 tank w/regulator, 1/2" impact wrench, tire chuck and guage, tire plug kit, tow strap, warning triangles, first aid kits(2), Glock folding shovel, duct tape, zip ties, electrical tape, 100' or 14guage wire, butt connectors, spade terminals, work mat, 12volt drop light, flashlight, handiwipes, and etc..... Poeple always give me a hard time about what I normally carry with me until they need something from me. :lol: :lol:

04 ex4wd, now 7 days old with 2800 miles on it, and loving every mile!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
KENGORALLY
Your emergency kit has enough heavy items that safe storage could be an issue. The battery pack, CO2 tank and shovel in particular would concern me.

On my major camping trips this year I've put items like a small spade and traction mats in the roof top box (Thule's smallest), and heavy items under a storage/sleeping platform in the back. This platform replaces the rear seats, and is high enough to slide a Rubbermaid plastic box under. I have one of those battery packs, but have only used it to inflate an air mattress. I've also carried a full size spare under that platform, but if I had more confidence in the tire repair kit, I'd just as soon leave that at home on the back of my RAV4.

If you have time, glance at the recovery tools thread in the off-road section. It sounds at though you have enough experience to correct speculations that some of us have engaged in.

paulj

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mandatory tools

I've been thinking about this, and wanted to get the experts' take on it. What would you consider mandatory tools for your e's repairs and maintenance? Say if you were to go on a cross country drive and wanted to be somewhat self-sufficient. At least to be able to perform temporary repairs to get it to a better equipped shop. I look forward to hearing your responses!

Thanks!

Steve Jolly

1 - 20 of 26 Posts