Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Honda Element SC with Manual transmission and it has 119,214 miles.

It runs fine. No problems.
I take it in to have regular maintenance done.
I take care of it and everyone thinks its a new car even to this day.

I just went in to have a routine oil change and they tell me that I have to have
my Throttle Body, fuel injectors, combustion chamber, piston, rings, and emission system cleaned.
They want to charge me almost $200 dollars.
Its running fine so I told them that I'd get back to them about that.

They also said my air filters needed changed and wanted to charge me $135 to do that.
I told them that I can change the filters myself for about about $20.

I'm a 61 year old female and still recovering from an auto accident from a year ago - (in a different car) - so I can't
do it myself and I don't know anyone/friend who is mechanically inclined to do it.

I used to have a 2005 Ford Ranger that I would spray carb cleaner down the throttle while I had someone rev the engine.
I don't know if I want to do that with my beloved "toaster". I don't want to screw it up.

Should I have the dealership do the Throttle Body, etc. cleaning???
Or should I just wait since I don't have any problems with it???
No revving engine on its own while idle, mileage is about 24mpg with mostly city driving.
Everything is fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

THANK YOU!!

· Administrator
249 Posts
... Find a different mechanic.
AMEN ....
There are three air filters in this rig. TWO cabin filters and one engine filter. All are easy enough to change.

I don't know anyone/friend who is mechanically inclined to do it.
You have many friends here. Post your location, request an assist, and maybe one will show up and help. If you are in my area, I volunteer.

· Registered
812 Posts
Hi,
As was stated, run some Techron in the gas, just follow directions!

All these engines need is a little love and they will run forever!

I do not let today"s Mechanics near my E unless there is no other choice!

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THANKS!!

I'll start using Marvel Mystery Oil when I fill up with gas from now on.

I'm going to try to remove the intake tube to check it myself first..........not sure if I can stand up yet without falling over since I have to bend over but I'll try.
But, I can drive okay. Finally!!. Took a long time to get to the point where it was safe for me to drive again - (by myself)

I live in Washington State near Gig Harbor.

Yes. I've replaced the Air Filters before by myself - super easy.
I just replaced them about a year and a half ago, so they're not ready yet to be changed anyway.

The funny thing is, they said absolutely nothing about the TPMS light being on.
The TPMS were all replaced at Les Schwab and the light just stays on.
I took it back 3 times and L.S. finally said that it is the TPMS unit that needs replaced since the sensors are all working.
I'm just going to ignore the light for now and now every time I go get the mail or leave, I check the tires really quick to make sure non of them are flat.

That is why I was suspicious of all the other things that the dealership wanted to do.
They completely ignored the blaring TPMS light yet wanted to do all these other things.

Thanks so much for all your replies!!

· Registered
61 Posts
I have a 2007 Honda Element SC with Manual transmission and it has 119,214 miles.

I just went in to have a routine oil change and they tell me that I have to have
my Throttle Body, fuel injectors, combustion chamber, piston, rings, and emission system cleaned.

They also said my air filters needed changed and wanted to charge me $135 to do that.

I'm a 61 year old female and still recovering from an auto accident from a year ago - (in a different car) - so I can't
do it myself and I don't know anyone/friend who is mechanically inclined to do it.

I used to have a 2005 Ford Ranger that I would spray carb cleaner down the throttle while I had someone rev the engine.
I don't know if I want to do that with my beloved "toaster". I don't want to screw it up.

No revving engine on its own while idle, mileage is about 24mpg with mostly city driving.
Everything is fine.

THANK YOU!!
Please do not be a sucker. If it is running fine, leave it alone.

· Registered
56 Posts
I would leave it alone. I would also not run Seafoam or Magic Mystery Oil. I would put in a container of Techron in the tank of gas you use fully before your next oil change as it can affect the oil quality (as would Seafoam or MMO). This would clean injectors and the face of the valves to remove deposits, it is also what car manufacturers suggest you do as opposed to the other chemicals suggested.

They are trying to take advantage of you. Find a better place to have work done..

Reactions: marsdriver

· Registered
9 Posts

Everything is fine.

THANK YOU!!
Kateri,
First - all the best with your recovery.
Based on the estimate to replace your filters - run! This really sounds like something I’ve heard from a drive in oils change business.
If your car is running well - I wouldn’t go out of my way to follow through with these recommendation. Air filter - you can look and see. I’m a few years older and I do go to the drive in oil change places ( with a coupon $27) cost is so cheap it’s a great deal. ( I have the oil changed every 3500 miles and I currently only drive the car about that many miles per year) EVERY time I go in - I’m given a list of recommendations and in total its always around $200. My regular mechanic always laughs at there upsale suggestions. And I’m the kind of guy that doesn’t flinch when my regular mechanic says something needs attention.
I’d definitely be looking at other options for a mechanic you feel comfortable with. Unless this is your trusted guy - then I’d need to weigh the pros and cons of his suggestions.
Best of Luck.

· Registered
48 Posts
Yes upscale selling to customers is so common, and they really over do it. I can understand it if a person really needs things like filters, but it's just plain wrong when they charge $200. to dump a bottle of cleaner in the gas tank when the vehicle is running good. Find a little hole in wall honest mechanic, never use a Stealerships

· Registered
407 Posts
I was in the past going to a mechanic who at one point bought a combustion chamber cleaning machine of some sort. After he bought it, he started recommending the service every time I took a car to him. Needless to say, I don't deal with him anymore.

· Registered
78 Posts
I was in the past going to a mechanic who at one point bought a combustion chamber cleaning machine of some sort. After he bought it, he started recommending the service every time I took a car to him. Needless to say, I don't deal with him anymore.
I'm confident that the machine cleaning is what they are trying to sell for $200. I worked for a dealer that had the machine. They all do by now. Slightly cheaper than a money printing machine, but same result.

Everything is fine.

THANK YOU!!
The only reason your car needs that service is that the dealer needs more money.
Honda specifically recommends AGAINST this service, (among with trans "flushing" and others) as it is unnecessary. Agree with brand name gas and Techron occasionally. The robbery to change your filters is avoidable as you already know. Mine get filled with tiny leaves from neighbor's tree. I shop-vac and put it back in. When I pull them out, it scrapes lots of leaves off the top and they fall into the fan, so I have a special tool for my shop vac. which is some vinyl hose duct taped to a crevice tool to suck the leaves out of the fan. The dealer would never do that. They would pull it out to show me, and just leave all the leaves in the fan to get blown into the heater core to plug it up.

I notice you have 120K. As mentioned on these forums over and over, If not yet done, do not fail to have the valve adjustment performed soon.

· Registered
147 Posts
Your vehicle sounds like it is performing fine - The shop is "up selling" you for additional services and parts for your vehicle as they are trained to do so - Your vehicle likely does not require any additional services - My wife and two college age daughters have experienced this numerous times and after many years of learning and guidance from me are well schooled on dealing with such sketchy shops and they know how to handle such situations - The times when it happened, they informed the shop they needed to call their dad first in regards to the additional services and of course they magically disappeared and were no longer required - Or they requested to specifically see each issue of concern and why there were noted issues - They often changed their tune quickly in those situations as well...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts