Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum and this club, but I have had my E for over 2 years now. It's a 2004 EX 4WD 5sp.

Just recently (last night until now), My engine will begin revving uncontrollably up to about 4000 RPM. This only happens when I pop it in to neutral, even after very short driving times (as little as 2 or so minutes after starting the E).
The strange part is that it won't just shoot straight to 4000, it will slowly increase, hit 4000, then drop back to normal idle speed after nearly 10 seconds. :confused::confused::confused:

I noticed this first at a stoplight, and had to check my feet to make sure I wasn't laying on the gas pedal. Sure enough, No pedals were causing the strange increase in RPM. This problem is obviously worrisome, due to the fact my engine now has a mind of it's own :???:

Does anyone have any input? Anyone out there experience the mystery of the possessed engine???

I would greatly appreciate any sort of input.

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
1. Thermostat system problem.
2. Automatic choke loop haywire (relates to above)
3. Charging system problem where the above loop is getting the wrong voltage from the charging system.

It's possible that it's in the thermostat loop because it settles down after the the engine warms up (more than before) after 10 seconds.

If you hit the accelerator a touch does it stop??? (Then it could be normal!!)

oh, I am not, nor ever have I been, a mechanic!!!!

Hope this helps and good luck!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply Espina. If I touch the gas pedal it actually makes it spin faster.

The Thermostat idea is a really good one, because I live in Utah, and right now our temperatures are quite low.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep posting here with updates.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also want to add that it's not just when my engine has first started, even after 30 or so miles on the freeway it will still occur.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
It could be as simple as cleaning the throttle body as sometimes it gets buildup including ice and it will cause this problem. Almost anything else out of place would throw a check engine light. If its been really humid thats where you will get the ice. It happens a lot up here in the mountains and the big engines on that plane in the background of my pic.:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks slimerdogs. I went up to my dads place, he has a garage full of goodies and a brain full of vehicle expertise.

We checked the entire throttle system, and lubed a few things that I'm sure weren't needing to be lubed, but we did it anyway :razz:

Anyway, he has an OBD code scanner that we plugged into the E, and it shot up three emissions problems. Not really a coincidence, since my emission system malfunction light has been on since mid november. This I realized (from reading posts here on EOC) was caused by my purchase of a non-OEM gas cap. :sad:

So after all is said and done, my pops and myself has come to a reasonable conclusion that the fuel tank is not venting correctly, and the engine (when coming to a low idle) tries to burn off the unvented leftovers :-|

Does this seem like a reasonable deduction???

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Barometric Pressure code?

I'm getting a Barometric Pressure code now. The dealer wants to charge me $95 an hour to diagnose this, and I know this is a very serious issue.

Has anyone had this error code before?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Trouble Code P1122

Receiving two codes.

P1122 throttle position higher than expected, and P2227 Barometric.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Dallan,

My sisters '04 experienced this last weekend also, I was right behind her in my '05, no problem for me. We were at a stop light and she called me saying here engine was revving all by itself, she put it in neutral and still revving. We went to a parking lot and it stopped when she put it in park...? No issue since.

Were about the same elevation I'm wondering what gives?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm really not sure NV. It's so strange.

Update:

I swapped out the MAP sensor with a new one from the dealer. Things seem to be improving slowly as it calibrates everything. I'll post more updates if it continues to get better.
I haven't been driving for he recommended 3 days, but my MIL keeps coming on.

Does anyone know what causes the "P2227 Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance" trouble code?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Very strange indeed, sounds like something's clogged up but I'm guessing you're on the right track. Brings to mind another story though...

A few years ago (pre-Element and pre-any car) a friend of mine was out of town for a few weeks and offered to let me drive her Saturn Ion around if I drop her at the airport and pick her up when she's back. Of course I said yes (free car!) and she went on her merry way.

About 2 weeks into having the car, we get up on a Saturday morning and head out to do some shopping. Drive to the big highway overpass, turn to the on-ramp, and put the pedal down. Get up to speed and hit Cruise, but the car keeps going faster. WTF? Remove my foot from down by the pedals, thinking I might've caught something on a shoe. Nope. Car's going faster. WAY faster. Start pushing the brakes but that only slows it a bit (don't want to burn out the brakes too). Luckily I'm near the next exit by now so I take it and head up, putting the car in neutral and coasting to a stop off to the side.

Now the engine (in neutral) is wildly racing against the rev limiter. I shut everything down, reset what I can think of, and turn the key again. Car starts up and again races against the rev limiter. Look at the pedal, looks fine. Pop the hood and take a peek under, nothing I can clearly see but I'm not about to take the car apart on an off-ramp.

So we walk up the ramp to the nearest business, pop inside, and call the dealer. Luckily the car's on lease, so all service is covered. They come and tow it away, and we walk the mile or so home, sans shopping. But at least it was nice weather!

Later that day I get a call from the dealer that it's done and telling me to come pick it up. When I ask what was wrong with it, I'm told I have to see it to believe it. So I hitch a ride down to the dealer, walk into the service department, and ask for the car. The lady at the desk disappears in back and comes back a minute later with one of the mechanics. He holds up for me a ziplock bag with a strange round object in it, which upon closer inspection is a walnut. A walnut!?

Sure enough, a squirrel had picked up a walnut from my neighbor's walnut tree and deposited it up inside the hood of the car. It just so happens that he placed it so perfectly that it was sitting on the throttle linkage and when I put the pedal down to accelerate down the on-ramp, it slipped in and held the throttle wide open. The dealer asked to keep it as proof that truth is, quite often, stranger than fiction...:twisted:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NV,

Yeah I have popped the battery terminals off a few times. I left them off for about 20 minutes at a time. Still no go.

But, the sensor seems to have decreased the intensity of the revvs, but they still exist. I'm still getting that Barometric P2227 Trouble code.

I wish it really was as simple as a walnut :razz:

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
i had the same problem with my 2003 VW Jetta with 100K mi, so i sold it....

the ohter car that was common was dodge neon, and was told its a design error.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright. Everything seems to be normal now... I feel very suspicious still, just in case the problem comes back.

My MIL is now off, and no more high revvs. I guess the problem really was solved by me switching out the MAP sensor. :-o

Alright! Well thanks everyone for all the advice. I'm sure I'll be back on here if there are more problems :p

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Alright. Everything seems to be normal now... I feel very suspicious still, just in case the problem comes back.

My MIL is now off, and no more high revvs. I guess the problem really was solved by me switching out the MAP sensor. :-o

Alright! Well thanks everyone for all the advice. I'm sure I'll be back on here if there are more problems :p
Back on here? But why would you ever leave us? :rolleyes: :twisted: :evil:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
if people only posted when they have problems, there would be no EOC :mad::D

and dont be afraid of twi, he's not 'that' bad :-o:wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts