Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I get gas last night and drive 12 miles home and everything was perfectly fine. Then I went to take my daughter to school this morning and immediately its like Im driving a different car.
PROBLEM:
seems to run normal under easy acceleration and low rpm
severely cuts out when floored and when rpm's increase

It acts as if a fuel filter is clogged or it's losing ignition or something like that.
It's like something changed from last night and this morning. Where I live we have a major rat / mouse problem...is their a wire that got chewed last night? Bad gas? Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Retired.
12,181 Posts
Okay, so I get gas last night and drive 12 miles home and everything was perfectly fine. Then I went to take my daughter to school this morning and immediately its like Im driving a different car.
PROBLEM:
seems to run normal under easy acceleration and low rpm
severely cuts out when floored and when rpm's increase

It acts as if a fuel filter is clogged or it's losing ignition or something like that.
It's like something changed from last night and this morning. Where I live we have a major rat / mouse problem...is their a wire that got chewed last night? Bad gas? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Did you ever get your engine light checked out? I am betting that your loss of power is related to your check engine light if it is still on.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Even without a lit MIL I'd get codes read. It sure sounds like the "safety" cripple mode saving you from yourself. :|

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even without a lit MIL I'd get codes read. It sure sounds like the "safety" cripple mode saving you from yourself. :|
Yeah, I think I'll take it back to Pep Boys...by the way they're one of the last auto shops that read the code for free

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just had it scanned; there are 3 codes...
P0456 Evap System Very Small Leak
P0442 Evap System Small Leak
P2646 Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch (A) Circuit Low Voltage

Now I know the evap system issue is probably related to the gas cap somehow. But would the other code cause the problem I'm having with it? Has anyone here ever had an issue with the Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch? Did you fix it yourself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
seems vtec related.

is your oil old & dirty? Is the level ok?

do a search for "vtec" or browse around a bit...there are several threads on the subject.

*EDIT-woops....I see you already found and posted in the "vtech" thread....try the link i posted there*

·
Registered
1 Posts
oil pressure switch mayhem

I'm on my 4th oil pressure switch. dealer and local mechanic have no idea why cruising at highway speeds just kinds of craps the switch out. fortunately it is a 10 minute $63 fix that you can do yourself.

first time this happened to my i was accelerating to get onto the highway, i hit 60 and felt like i was in neutral and the element just wouldnt go and would only give me about 2k rpms. i took it to the dealer and they just said it was the switch and fixed it for almost $200. I asked them to point out where the switch was located on the engine block for future reference and reluctantly they showed me where it was. since then, i have had to replace that same switch three more times. It is easy to reach and takes about 45 seconds of real work but can be scary when youre traveling and you loose most of your oomph.

to replace, all you need to do is wait until the engine cools enough and grab a socket wrench, remove the switch which is located on the back of the engine block and screw in the new switch. be sure to grease the electrical component of the switch to prevent moisture from messing the switch up.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I'm on my 4th oil pressure switch. dealer and local mechanic have no idea why cruising at highway speeds just kinds of craps the switch out. ...
Given this frequency of occurrence, something in the vehicle maintenance plan is directly resulting in premature failure of this part.

To wit: what oil are you using? Any additives?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I tend to concur with MikeQBF in regard to the frequency of the switch replacement. I have almost 103K on my E and I have never replaced the switch (yet). I am thinking that it may have something to do with the fact that I have been faithful at changing the oil and filter @ 5K intervals since it was new. I am using Mobil 1 5W20. I read somewhere in this forum that infrequent oil changes can cause the switch to fail before its time. Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts