Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The engine bay in Miss Ellie looks like it drove the Baja 1000.
She's a very dirty girl under the hood. :roll:

Has anyone done a complete engine detail on thier E?
Any info you can share on the subject would be most appreciated.
Cleaning products, dos and don'ts, and so on....

·
Registered
247 Posts
Im not a fan of spraying water from a hose (hi presure or not) directly on my engin, Others have done this and made out good, others not so good. I like to keep up on my detaling so I just use a damp rag or to, some Aerospace 303 and take my time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I usually wipe my engine bay down after I'm done drying the entire car & door wells (after every wash).

If it's been a while (I usually skip this for 4-5 months during the winter time) I'll take a dollar store spray bottle of warm water with a tiny bit of soap, spritz everything and wipe down.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
The last time I washed my E I was thinking that there should be one of those SoCal Meguiars meets for camping fools. Like how to get tree sap off paint and plastic, how to get acorns out of the engine, how to clean three years of mud and chunks of concrete off the wheel wells...

·
Registered
549 Posts
I still have the mud from last year's Death Valley camping trip......I was going to have it clean for $80....but....

·
Registered
446 Posts
The dealer cleaned mine up just before I bought it in November. I keep it dusted with a damp rag and hope to keep it clean for the duration. I cleaned up our Odyssey at 60,000 miles with a squirt bottle of windex and a couple of cloth rags. Took some time but it looked like new when done. I've quickly hosed out our Accord's engine a few times when washing the car and (don't laugh) dried it out with a leaf blower. I also use an air compressor but the leaf blower makes the neighbors look confused... I've also used plastic/rubber dressing on "showy" parts under the hood just to give it a bit of shine and protection.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I guess i must be brave, but when i bought ours used a few months ago.. it had never been detailed, so i went crazy!! A friend of mine works at a detail shop.. so i had the advantage of using his steam cleaner. ( Basically it was just a pressure washer with hot water) I sprayed the engine down with degreaser.. let it soak for a bit, then went to town. The poor car was in shock, but the end result is an engine that looks brand new.. even after 126k. Granted i am careful around electrical connectors, the air intake etc. I also have an 03 Accord v6 sedan, and her engine compartment gets pressure washed every month or two.. still as clean under there as the day i bought her new! I also use my air compressor when i am done to blast the water out of the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I try to keep mine clean and do wash it at the car wash with no problems. Some posters have let the engine run during the washing. I have not done this but do start it up right after cleaning it and let it run with the hood open for a few minuets. Need to do it again after all these snow storms we have been getting as the E looks like a CK one.:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I take mine to the hand-spray car wash and spray it out with soap and water. I used to use the engine degreaser until it started taking off my stickers that helped me find what hose goes where...

I ALWAYS wrap my alternator, under hood fuse box, cruise control module, ABS regulator, air intake hole, and battery terminals using plastic grocery bags.

I know some people just blow it out with no issues, but I like wrapping just in case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts