Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I hope someone can help me diagnose a problem w/my '03 element (manual, 2wd, 147,000 miles). When it is cold, the engine dies when coming to a stop or idling the vehicle. It seems like the idle is set too low, the rpms drop, then pop back up, drop again, etc until it finally dies. I assumed that somebody else has had the same problem but couldn't find anything in a search so maybe not.

I took it to my mechanic and he went through a process where he re-set the idle...the car/computer has some process that you can go through to do this apparently. After he did that it was fine for a week or so then it started doing it again.

When it dies the dash lights stay on but the event logger doesn't record any problems (disclaimer: I don't know what this means really but my mechanic says it is significant so I thought I should post it).

Any help would be appreciated...most of the time it is not a big deal, it starts right back up and I am on my way. However, driving down an icy road in Yosemite approaching a turn is something I would rather not repeat.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
here is my .02...I would reset the idle back to where the factory had it. Don't try to cover up trouble.

I would say you either have a vacuum leak or a dirty throttle body. Clean the throttle body / throttle plate anyway. That can and will cause what you describe. So will a vacuum leak.

Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
duckloads, thanks for the feedback. Did this happen to your Element?

I didn't think about resetting the idle as covering up the problem but it makes perfect sense. Thanks as well for the vacuum leak/dirty throttle body info...I'll pass it along to the mechanic.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I cleaned my E's throttle body as part of my 90k (?) miles service. I had a dirty throttle body once cause a real rough idle on a BMW. At idle, there is a real small gap between the throttle plate and the inside of the housing. Carbon and other "crap" will build up closing off the small idle opening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts