Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seal around Engine needs replacing...what is it called?

One of my mechanic friends awhile back pointed out that the seal around the engine was leaking. I don't remember what he said the seal was called, and was wondering if someone could please help me? Below are two pics showing the location of the slow oil leak. I drew an arrow to the area that he pointed out.

Thank you,
Chrissie

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
I do believe that he's referring to the valve cover gasket. I'm no expert on the E's engine but that's what it looks like to me. It's no huge deal to replace or to have done. It's also one of those things you can drive around with basically forever. You just constantly lose a little oil. However, sometimes the oil can leak onto something hot(like the exhaust manifold) and cause some smoking, which is disconcerting and smelly-also there is some small risk of fire. You'll need to get it fixed sooner or later- be best to make it sooner, IMO.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
If you have >100K on that 2003, you'll probably want to have the valves adjusted by and by. They'll replace the gasket then.
Yup.
Even if ya just wanna pull off the cover and replace the gasket it isn't that trickey.

If you'ld like to try an easy attempt at stopping (or slowing) the leak in the meanwhile you can try tightening it down.

Using a 10mm socket, tighten down the nuts that hold the valve cover....they are easy to spot. They look just like the nuts that hold the black covers but are shiny silver w/ big silver washers under them.

2 in the back, one in the middle to the left side, and three in the front. Not sure, but the black engine cover may block access to one or two....can't remember.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Are you the original owner ? I ask only because if anyone has removed the valve cover , when reinstalling there are 4 places that require honda bonda (gasket sealer) I believe its at the round edges where they join together and could be easily overlooked , just where you're leaking . All in all a quick easy fix !

RUBY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts