Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine light came on this morning and it only has 843 Miles on it! I have read other Element sites and another owner light came on at 287 Miles. One dealer replaced a blown 02 sensor. Another owner replaced a value near the gas tank; another valve and hose assembly related to the evaporative system. I know it's not the gas cap because i haven't filled my gas in 5 days and i always click it 3 or more times.

Any other owners out there besides me who has this problem. Is there any other dealer solutions you guys have encountered :?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The engine light came on three days after buying the car. After the dealer did some tests they said it was one of the fuel injectors. I have to take it back next week when the part comes in. The engine almost lost all power for a short time when I was leaving work, but ran normal from then on. The next day is when the engine light came on. I hope this is not a reoccuring problem. I bought the car hoping my car problems were behind me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean. My last car was bad and i dipped into the Element knowing Honda is such a good company to buy into. The only problems i have so far is the driver side window leaks, my engine light came on < the dealer just reset it explaining i had some kind of high voltage > and the CD skipped once but the CD has scratches on it already. I love the car and no car is 100% prefect :D

P.S. Since the dealer reset the engine light, it hasn't come on for 3 weeks now!

·
Registered
21 Posts
[quote:f5813ccc6b="sanjose"]i had the same problem at 600 miles. the dealer replaced the catalyst converter. the light hasn't come on since. current mileage: ~1,300[/quote:f5813ccc6b]

i meant to say "catalytic converter" in my earlier post.
in any case, i spoke too soon. my engine light came on again and stayed on today. my element is currently at 1,700 miles. so apparently, the catalytic converter wasn't the real problem. i get the feeling that the dealership (autowest honda of fremont, ca) probably just reset it the light and the part about replacing the catalytic converter was just an excuse to make money.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Most times is the ECU (chip) noticing a change, be it the octane, cheaper gas and even pumping your gas with the engine running which is a big no no...

It has yet to happen in my wife's Element, but it has happened to my Acura and my previous Civic, both which I took care of by disconnecting the battery cables and letting the car sit for 20 minutes, causing the ECU to reset and no more light....

Note that if there is a problem, the light will come back on, so then call the dealer.....I know dealers who like these "dummy" lights so that they can either charge you or back charge Honda for work not needed.... :x

Anyway, just make sure you have your code for the radio before you disconnect the battery....I know the dealer will keep you on the phone asking you all these personal questions making sure you are who you are and not a thief.... :wink:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had the same problem, but it was because we tried to use a non-OEM locking gas cap and I failed to click it three times. The light never went out - I had to go to the dealer to get it reset. Then we got a OEM locking gas cap and 2500 miles later, it hasn't come on again. Nice to know about disconnecting the battery cables as a fix though!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was very surprised this past weekend when I drove away from the gas station without putting the gas cap back on and drove about 3 miles on the freeway before I could pull off and take care of it. The light didn't come on and I wonder why.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Basically, the check engine light can come on for multiple reasons. I don't think cheap gas and octane rating can caused a check engine light to come on but it could cause spark knock(ping) if the octane rating is less then 87 and also poorer fuel economy. The only way to know what caused the check engine light, you will need to know what code it set and unless you have a scan tool for that, if not, it's best to bring it to the dealership especially if it's still under base warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
To set a evap leak code due to a loose gas cap, it could take up to 2 days for that to happen but most of the time, within the 1st day. The check engine light will come on but if you drive the vehicle enough(drive cycle) and that the ecu did not see a repeat problem, it will turn the light off but it will still set a trouble code in the ecu.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I waited for 3 days for the light to go off, which is the amount of time the manual says it might take. On the fourth day, my husband took it in and had it reset. It turned out for the good anyway, as outr license plates had come in the day before, and they put them on too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I spoke to soon. My engine light came back on again at 2,100 miles! The car jerked a couple of times last night and i thought surely i would break down on the side of the road but lucky the car was still drivable. This morning on the highway, my E jerked again and it felt like it was going to break down but again i was lucky the wheels were still spinning.

Out of 8 weeks of ownership, the dealer had it for 2 weeks! I hope the problems is not ongoing because i have been going to the dealer for 4 straight weeks and we are on a first name basis now :evil: I am getting tired of dropping my E off and not knowing when i will be getting it back.

It's very frustrating arg!

·
Registered
129 Posts
If your Check Engine light comes on, you can get the diagnostic codes by attaching a code reader. If you don't have one (most people don't), go to the nearest Auto Zone -- they will read the codes for free (in hopes that you will use them as your source for parts). That way, when you go back to the dealership, you're armed with appropriate information.

(Not affiliated with Auto Zone, just a customer.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My engine light came on at 4,200 miles. I brought it in & was told it was a sensor in the gas tank so they put in a new one & they saud it tripped another sensor. I go back AGAIN :evil: on Thursday. I'll let you guys know if it works. I am crossing my fingers - I love my car & don't want to end up hating it.[/img]

·
Registered
69 Posts
my engine light went on a while back (posted a thread on a bad catalytic converter). my dealership replaced the cc and all was well until yesterday when the light went back on.

according to the dealership, there's a software issue where the emissions are being controled too stringently and thus something went wrong (not sure what when wrong, really), but they said that all they had to do was update the software ...

Apparently, it's just a service bulletin at the moment, no recall is expected, but there are certain VINs that are expected to be affected, which is how they knew this was my issue....

that's all i know folks. my wife is the person who actually dropped off the E at the dealership, so they told her, she told me, and now i'm tellin' you ...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Re: Idiot Light Syndrome

Mine just went on today. I've had the car for 2 or 3 weeks and I'm a little over 1000 miles.

wjbushnell said:
I hope this is not a reoccuring problem. I bought the car hoping my car problems were behind me.

EXACTLY!! :-x

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bought my Element last Sunday, may 1. The engine light came on about 20 miles later, at a total of 55 miles on the odometer. Before I drove off the lot, the dealer put a full tank of gas in. So maybe he didnt close the cap all the way. I waited 4 days, still on. Then I tried disconnecting the battery cables for 20+ minutes. I reconnected and the light went off, for 100 miles, then came back on again. I tried removing engine fuse #6 for 20 minutes. Put it back in, engine light was off for 5 seconds, then turned on.

I called the dealer 2 hours ago, they were busy so took my name/number to call me back. What I'd like to do now is try AutoZone.

I called AutoZone, and they won't check the engine code for me, but they will "rent" me the tool which will check the code and then refund my money when I return it (about $200).

Question is... who knows anything about OBD II ? In the 2005 Element, where do I connect it? Does it have a screen with the code number or do I need to then dump it to some software on a PC? Does the engine need to be running when I connect it?

Thanks....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts