Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 EX Element with 244,xxx miles started having this issue yesterday.

I parked at a park (and shut the car off and got out to walk around..) and made a call, and went back to start my car and this happened:
It didn't start, as if I had only turned the key to accessory, which I don't think I did but I also didn't take much note of this at the time but I'm going to try and give all the info I can. I give it another out-in try and the car starts up, but I notice the engine sounds a lot lower. I left the park and got driving and noticed that when accelerating that low rumble noise would get louder and I could barely accelerate without feeling like the engine was going to blow, it was a challenge making it up a hill, like it wouldn't switch gears...
I let it sit for a few hours and gave it another try, same lower engine noise, same acceleration restriction/engine-about-to-blow-feeling..

I let it sit overnight and just now started it up and my family even noticed from inside, the rumbly low noise of the engine.
It sounds a lot like my friend's 2000 Chevy truck that doesn't have a muffler... Definitely not a normal Honda element.

It seems to be coming from the lower passenger side of the engine/underneath.

Anybody think this sounds similar to anything they know and want to help out?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!); 2008 LX FWD AT
1,592 Posts
Did you look underneath to see if your catalytic converter is still there (how long were you away from your E)? Check engine light come on? Check your oil?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you look underneath to see if your catalytic converter is still there (how long were you away from your E)? Check engine light come on? Check your oil?
Only left it for 3 minutes tops, just got an oil change and no check engine :(

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Some places have been known to not tighten drain plugs or filters. Humor me and check your oil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some places have been known to not tighten drain plugs or filters. Humor me and check your oil.
Oil was just above the lowest dot on the stick, crawled underneath and the pan looks to have a bunch of oil on it... I live in WI and it's freezing, I can't see if theres any oil on the ground because it's covered by ice/snow

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If it is at the lowest dot, it should still be enough not to result in bad mechanical noises from the engine. Still need to find out why you're missing almost a quart since the (how recent?) oil change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it is at the lowest dot, it should still be enough not to result in bad mechanical noises from the engine. Still need to find out why you're missing almost a quart since the (how recent?) oil change.
A few hundred miles ago

·
Registered
495 Posts
I thought I saw exhaust vapors on that video?

·
Registered
58 Posts
LOL, the exhaust doughnut blew out. Get a new one, and replace it. Make sure doughnut sealing surfaces are smooth before you put the new one on. You MAY need new bolts and springs (only use OEM for the bolts/springs).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts