Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my new 08 LX AWD E was fairly quiet when I got it. I changed the oil and some weird stuff came out, almost like it was tinted red. {I saved some of it and am going to send it to have it analyzed}. Seems after that the engine was noisier. I adjusted the valves, several were out but not much. now I have a knocking noise, not rods, not main bearings, if this was a motorcycle I would say it's a wrist pin noise. Can't hear it at idle or steady slow speed, only when accelerating and not louder when you give it a lot more throttle. I had a noise, kind of like this, years ago, that turned out to be an exhaust leak, but I don't think this is that.

Any idea's? Methods of diagnosis? Mockery?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,185 Posts
I'll ask a stupid question, sure you drained the oil and not transmission fluid? Very old transmission fluid could be brownish with a red tint.

Assuming it was the oil, what oil did you put in? How many miles? My daughter's 08 had some piston slap ( that sounds louder than valves, but not as bad as a rod or crank bearing knock) when we bought it at 137k. We wound up putting a used engine in (that was my first E, it may have run that way a long time). The second engine started experiencing excessive oil consumption at about 200k. I pulled it apart, honed the cylinders, put new rings in, and reassembled it. I cured the oil consumption, but this engine also has just a slight piston slapping sound.

If you think it is an exhaust leak, start it up on a cold day and watch for exhaust smoke along the system.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,890 Posts
I'll ask a stupid question, sure you drained the oil and not transmission fluid? Very old transmission fluid could be brownish with a red tint.
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^
Seen this many times. Engine oil overfilled, transmission low

·
Registered
2004 SOP EX/AWD/MT
233 Posts
Mine also had a slight knock, ended up being the power-steering pump.
You might try starting the engine without the belt...to verrify it isn't the pump or alternator.

·
Registered
2004 Fiji EX-AWD
287 Posts
See if you can get a video of the sound and post it.
damn, never would of thought of that, but i totally see how this happens. I actually bet this is what the guy did who owned my E prior as he did all his oil changes.. 2 weeks ago i took a trip to the mountains(4 hrs). the morning after i got there, i started the E and something was off, idle, accel, etc. Bone dry transmission fluid:oops::oops::eek:. I freaked and asap got 3 quarts of some DW-1 synthetic from Castrol(all they had at advanced auto on a Sunday). My vehicle has zero leaks so i knew something was up. And you just answered my question!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I was driving the E today, I was thinking that the sound is similar to a "diesel" sound. Not loud like that, but with a similar "clack". LOL

I wonder if this is the famous "piston slap" I hear so much of. I do NOT know what piston slap sounds like, SO..............

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to put hi test in it tomorrow, just to convince myself it's not detonation. I am a dummy, but hey, it a few bucks, and it can't hurt. LOL

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Put the hi-test in and, as expected, no change in the knock. Seems to be getting a little better MPG, but it's only half a tank so far, so really can't say for sure. Unless it's a substantial difference, I won't pursue it further. If it's substantial, I will alternate between Hi-test and regular for a while just for giggles.

I swear the knock is getting louder, I pray that's just because I am so sensitive to it.

I am preparing my previous auto for sale so I don't have time to experiment. As soon as I have it prepped, I will redo the valves, just to be sure. I will also disconnect the FI's one cylinder at a time to pinpoint the cylinder that is making noise before checking the valves so I can be extra careful with those valves.

If the valves don't help I will put 20w-40 oil in there, again, just for giggles, I don't expect that to make a diff, but I want to cover everything. I had planned to take this E out on the road, camping for a couple of months as soon as it gets a little warmer, but It will be nerve-racking hearing this noise.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,185 Posts
Like ToasterScott suggested, get a video/audio recording of the noise if you can.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this is hard to believe, but used car dealers have been known to add non conventional things in engine oil to quiet a noisy engine down. ATF, 80W gearlube, wynns warranty and such.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
engine and trans mounts ever been changed?
I don't know, I just bought it. I see that the mounts seem to be a regular maintenance item, so I will be looking at them. I just got a service manual, man is that thing thick!!

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,185 Posts
I don't know, I just bought it. I see that the mounts seem to be a regular maintenance item, so I will be looking at them. I just got a service manual, man is that thing thick!!
That's nothing, my 09 Pilot (and 1999 Ford E350) manual is THREE volumes that thick.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I redid the valve adjustment today. Nothing really out of order, I didn't do a really great job the first time, a few a little tight and a few a little loose, not by much. I am going to do a compression test tomorrow, and then put the 20W-50 oil in. Other than that I don't know what to do next. I will put my phone under the hood when I get it running again, so you all can hear the knock.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I did the compression test, all have 160 psi. I don't know what's good, I read one guy who had 135, and one who said he had 190. I did it cold, as I wanted to do it before I put everything back together after the valve check. {i didn't do it BEFORE the valve check because my tester wouldn't hold pressure and I had to get another one}.

I also changed the oil to 20w-50, and, of course, nothing I have done made much of a difference.

I will try to get a sound shot of the noise on my phone today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts