Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!. First, I love Elements, but here in Mexico are very very uncommon, so finding one is very hard, besides that, I have its little brother, an 02 CRV. And I have a problem I want to get fixed, or at least, getting to know the cause, and being aware that Elements and CRVs share a lot of parts in common, maybe this awesome community could help me resolve this!. So here it goes.
I have some type of clacking noise on my crv k24a2. I'm getting worried, this noise is not recent, it has been like that for some time. I'm sure the valve lash is not making that sound, just listen to the background, like a clack clack, I can listen to it better from the passenger side and behind the car. I recorded a video with the noise, please don't mind the oil leaks, I'll fix them ASAP, just didn't have time to drop the frame. I check the engine oil level every day and top it as necessary. I used a big screwdriver to listen to the oil pan, it appears is not there, so maybe rod knock discarded? Hope someone had that problem and could tell me what was the damaged part, I'm on a budget, so I cannot throw parts at it, I need to be as sure as possible. I have a list of a pair of possible things that could make that noise. It's kinda rhythmic, just a couple times this car was low on oil, like half a quart. So not that much, and it wasn't my fault. After checking again and putting my head in the engine bay it looks like the sound comes from the firewall side. I don't know if passenger or driver side. Car runs great, Usually, I get it up to 5,000 rpm and it does it very very good. Another thing I noticed is when cold the noise isn't constant, and sometimes I cannot find it, but in hot I can hear it out even if I don't want to. I don't want my crv to be damaged by this noise, I quite love it. I hope I can figure it out with your help guys. I always wait to have operating temperature before driving hard.

https://youtu.be/ivzltR6he6M

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys!. First, I love Elements, but here in Mexico are very very uncommon, so finding one is very hard, besides that, I have its little brother, an 02 CRV. And I have a problem I want to get fixed, or at least, getting to know the cause, and being aware that Elements and CRVs share a lot of parts in common, maybe this awesome community could help me resolve this!. So here it goes.
I have some type of clacking noise on my crv k24a2. I'm getting worried, this noise is not recent, it has been like that for some time. I'm sure the valve lash is not making that sound, just listen to the background, like a clack clack, I can listen to it better from the passenger side and behind the car. I recorded a video with the noise, please don't mind the oil leaks, I'll fix them ASAP, just didn't have time to drop the frame. I check the engine oil level every day and top it as necessary. I used a big screwdriver to listen to the oil pan, it appears is not there, so maybe rod knock discarded? Hope someone had that problem and could tell me what was the damaged part, I'm on a budget, so I cannot throw parts at it, I need to be as sure as possible. I have a list of a pair of possible things that could make that noise. It's kinda rhythmic, just a couple times this car was low on oil, like half a quart. So not that much, and it wasn't my fault. After checking again and putting my head in the engine bay it looks like the sound comes from the firewall side. I don't know if passenger or driver side. Car runs great, Usually, I get it up to 5,000 rpm and it does it very very good. Another thing I noticed is when cold the noise isn't constant, and sometimes I cannot find it, but in hot I can hear it out even if I don't want to. I don't want my crv to be damaged by this noise, I quite love it. I hope I can figure it out with your help guys. I always wait to have operating temperature before driving hard.

https://youtu.be/ivzltR6he6M
Probably the timing chain when it's really cold the oil is thick and keeps it from clacking as much.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll let you know when I make a diagnosis. Maybe removing the valve cover could give me some kind of guide to fix the issue.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I’ve heard the timing chain stretches generally when these engines are low on oil. And to avoid it by making sure your motor oil is always where it should be. And since you were low a few times and seem to have a possible leak, the timing chain theory could be correct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I’ve heard the timing chain stretches generally when these engines are low on oil. And to avoid it by making sure your motor oil is always where it should be. And since you were low a few times and seem to have a possible leak, the timing chain theory could be correct.
How can I check the timing chain for stretch? Can I do it with the valve cover removed? How much slack do I need to have?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I’m not absolutely sure but here’s a link to another thread that seems to be dealing with a similar issue. I’ve heard from the grapevine that you may need to drop the oil pan, which makes sense to me.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/#/topics/153049?page=1

And there’s an Eric The Car Guy episode on YouTube where he mentions a few things about the chain during a KSeries valve adjustment if I remember correctly.

https://youtu.be/959I0wF5NH8

1 - 8 of 8 Posts