Honda Element Owners Club banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2003 element stalling cured

OK, 2003 Element would stall often when cold, turning, stopping, and sometimes when taking off. It was worse when it was cold. I cleaned the throttle body/butterfly, replaced the IAC motor, reset the codes, cleaned the VTEC screen on the cylinder head, checked the plugs, tested the TPS and O2 sensors, cleaned the injectors, and none of that got rid of the problem. I just adjusted the valves and WOW! Done deal. The car never stalls,, never idles rough, starts faster, has more power, and gets better mileage. So please do the valve adjustment. It's easy. I went with .013" for the exaust since they were so tight that they scored the cam, and I set the intakes to .009".

You can Email me for details if you want.

Good Luck,

Joe

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Honda says the valves should be done at 110k Some need it as soon as 80k and some will go to 160k but they all will need them adjusted eventually.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 07 SC Is having this exact stalling problem. My mechanic says that this new car has hydraulic valvea and requires no adjstment. He says it is not the issue since the car has an o2 sensor code. But from whAt ive read here, valve adj seems to be the only solution.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just got the valve adjusted at a local honda and change the plug as well. Then i cleaned the Maf and replaced the o2 sensor myself. The awful smell from the muffler seems to be gone and no CEL after driving for a mile. Hopefully stalling problem will not return. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the stalling issue too, and it took me months to figure it out. It kept getting worse as the weather got colder. It got the point that, when the car was cold, it would stall at every intersection. Luckily, with all the posts here, I decided to try to adjust the valves - and that was it! I did it myself, if you have feeler gauges and are careful it's not that challenging. This video:
helped a lot. Thanks for all of the help guys!

141 - 149 of 149 Posts