Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Element has shut itself off while I am driving. Very scary!
The car also wouldn't start once, but battery was good, no turnover of the ignition.

The dealer cannot (or will not) find the problem; said I had a bad battery and that was why the car shuts itself off. I was able start the car after turning the ignition off, waiting a few seconds and turning it back on; how can the battery be so dead the car shuts off, but be good enough to start the car 10 seconds later?

Any suggestions and is this an issue with E's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
What year? What part of the country are you in. Is it 2 or 4 wd? Automatic transmission?

Help us help you, Fill in your Profile!

It will save all the needles questions.

Dom

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Engine Shut Off Too

Aloha94,

My Element shut off while I was driving too. I realized that my ignition was very sensitive. I Tried seperating my key and key fob from my bulky keychain. It never happened again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
This is starting to sound like a burnt ignition switch (electrical, not mechanical portion). If either of you two are mechanically inclined enough would you be willing to pull the switch to check for scorching?

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,942 Posts
A Honda dealers' mechanic says your 2007 has a bad OEM battery?

The only thing I can think of that would make a fully charged battery cause a problem like you describe is a thermally induced intermittent internal short, or an open at the terminal, which is unlikely. I'd bet against it; the alternator should be able to keep then engine running until the terminal voltage of the battery drops below 9V (25% charge).

Honda has a specific set of test procedures for testing the battery and charging system. Did the dealer replace the "bad battery" under warranty?

·
Registered
751 Posts
OK - thanks. I filled in the blanks, but here they are:
2007 4WD EX AT
automatic transmission
24,500 mileage
You could try replacing the battery however, I'd want more proof from the dealer that the battery is the problem b/c your description of the problem would not lead one to believe the battery is indeed the problem.

A 2007 should still be under bumper to bumper warranty. I'd bring it back and talk to the service manager or the dealer manager and inform them that it needs to be repaired. Ultimately, if they aren't interested in fixing it, call Honda corporate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
cuts off

I you have 10lbs of keys on your key ring, it will damage the elec. portion of the ig. switch. It can block the chip message inside the key too. If the keys are really bunched together i mean. Since you had a battery problem, do the idle learn. Reset the ecu, idle for 10 min or until the rad. fans come on, no loads(radio etc) parked veh.
CMoose

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda shuts off too

My Element has done the same thing-- 3 times over the past 2 months--so not very often. The first 2 times it happened I was almost stopped, so I turned the car off and it restarted without a problem. The last time, I was getting off an interstate exit and was going 50 mph and the car shut off. All three times it was very cold and the car was still warming up..... took it to a repair place after the first time and they said nothing was wrong. Now I have to take it to a Honda dealership and have them charge me an arm and a leg..... I will try the key fob thing mentioned earlier? They mentioned something about a valve adjustment-- is this just a ploy to get money?? HELP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.