Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant get my e to run. the engine occassionally turns over but stalls soon after. i cleaned the iacv. the battery is brand new. highbeam lights up full power. no obdII code. after so much cranking, i smell alot of gas. the fuel pump powers up ok. starter appears good. alternator operate fine. spark plug seems ok. not sure if its the coil, fuel injectors, clog cat. converter? anyone seen anything like it? i uploaded a video to mediafire (.avi 3.09mb). thanks for any assistance.

mediafire.com/duce

·
Registered
12 Posts
does the car have any modifications? has it had anything major done to it like a motor r&r, body work, etc? something might be unplugged or you might have a bad ground.

i'd also look at fuel pressure, and if you have access to a scan tool with a data list.. check out the readings for map, tps and fuel trim.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's a collision E to the front passenger side. behind the front wheel. it only throws a 'get a new catalytic converter code.' id unplugged many sensors. OBDII shows a code, then erase on its own when plug back in. i just got the E and put less than 500 miles on it.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Collision? Code tells you there's a cat problem? Easy: replace the cat.

The likelihood is quite high that the collision collapsed the matrix inside one of the cats, and it's clogged. Since you didn't mention which code it reported, we can't tell you which cat - there are two.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
This code is "failed catalytic converter efficiency check". This implies the rear cat. My recommendation at this point is to remove the cat and see if it will run. You'll get lots of DTCs, but if the cat is collapsed and is the main or only problem it will start and idle using ECU defaults.

Good luck.

EDIT: Ah, you read my mind. :-D

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can see the tach pulsing like it's having a fuel delivery issue. If you take the key from ignition switch 0 to II (leaving it for 2-3 seconds) and repeating this step 10 times does before starting the car does the car have a little more life before it cuts off?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
igniter icm

where would the "ignition control module" also known as an igniter be located? a pic would be nice. thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
no spark

hi, anyone have any guess why im not getting any spark from the spark plugs and coils. whats the chance of them all going bad? the plugs are entirely black. could the culprit be a camshaft sensor or crankshaft sensor? there is no engine code. fuses are good. what about the main relay and where is it located? thanks

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Did you test for the Ignition pulse at the coil connection? If so are you getting it at all of the coils?

I assume you did look at the plugs while cranking the Engine, and noticed that you had no spark. Is that true ?

Dom

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I see a whole bunch of wheel-spinning going on here, so I'm going to ask again... :x

Do you have the Honda service manual? If not, you need to. Now. There are procedures for no-start and other conditions that outline specific diagnostic steps and their resolutions, and you should be following those procedures for your problem. Continuing to ask here hoping that you get something similar for free is going to produce a lot of "best guesses" and dead-ends, such as the path we went down about the catalytic converter.

I don't sense any use of a multi-meter to check presence (or absence) of voltages in key places. Are you familiar with how to do this? It will be part of any serious diagnostic of the problem you're having, otherwise, you're flying blind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
your cylinders might be washed down, too. pull the plugs, put like a teaspoon of oil down each cylinder, crank it a few times and throw a set of new plugs in it. it's worth a shot.

oh, and get a service manual. it's a necessity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts