Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! This may be redundant, but my mechanic gave me some info to post along with this. I have posted in the past about my '05 E running rough at stop lights and having poor performance. Now the latest development is that it stalls when it is cold. If I let her warm up for 10 minutes or so, everything is ok, although I still have rough idle issues and poor performance sometimes. I should also mention the rancid exhaust smell when the fast idle starts to drop...

So my mechanic wanted to make sure I included this info: check engine light is on (intermittent) with a P0172 code showing. He says the engine is stalling rich in both closed and open loop (I don't know what this means........). He also said the fuel trim is 20%, so the engine thinks it is running very rich. He checked the usual stuff - no vacuum leaks, no O2 sensor code.

Anyone? He's pretty confused by this one and says it seems like a very uncommon problem (he's never seen it before). He's going to contact some of the local dealers and see if they've seen this before and if they have any ideas. I can drive the car, but it sucks having to warm it up before driving.

Thanks!

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Likely the IAC (idle air control) valve, or dirty throttle body. You're probably around the mileage where that could be a consideration.

·
Registered
246 Posts
.....P0172 code showing... ...He checked the usual stuff - no vacuum leaks, no O2 sensor code....

Anyone? He's pretty confused.....
Must be confused if he thinks a vacuum leak (lean condition) would cause a system rich DTC.

Fuel Pressure too high? Leaking injectors? Valves out of adjustment?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this exact same problem in a 2003 element AWD MT. Valve adjustment cleared it up. They did replace throttle body, but that did nothing and got reimbursed for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the stalling when cold issue and did the valve adjust.

Problem 100% solved!!

All exhaust valves and one intake valve were ridiculously tight. Having made the adjustments my element is running perfectly and smoother at idle than new.

Brian in Atascadero, CA
2007 Honda element, manual transmission

·
Registered
03 4wd 5spd
28 Posts
Exhaust valves on Hondas are notorious for getting tight. I would start with a valve adjust and spark plugs. That rancid exhaust smell is probably the catalytic converter burning up with all the unburned fuel making it past those exhaust valves. Which would also read as a rich condition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts