Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, while at a light the engine was at 1,200 rpm, instead of normal 700. Pulled into a lot and put in park, and it idled from 1,000 to 2,000 and back and forth. While driving at a steady 50, it would feel like it was trying to find the right gear, a slight hic-up. Drove a feel miles home, parked it , and logged on. Once post mentioned throttle control sensor. After sitting for 1 hour, it was not surging in park, from 1 to 2,000 but was idling at 1,200.

The check engine light was not on.

I have 135,000 miles on it. Anyone have something similar happen. Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I posted this earlier in Problems & Issues.

Today, while at a light the engine was at 1,200 rpm, instead of normal 700. Pulled into a lot and put in park, and it idled back and forth between 1,000 to 2,000 While driving at a steady 50, it would feel like it was trying to find the right gear, a slight hic-up. Drove a feel miles home, parked it , and logged on. Once post mentioned throttle control sensor.

If I turn on A/C it will not surge from 1 to 2,000 but idle fast at 2,000.

Also seen a post in another forum about the idle air control valve, and how cleaning will help. Does the E have one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
my 2003 140k did the exact, I would just turn the key off and restart the car, it hasn't happened in a long time, kind of cured itself. mechanics call it a "hunting idle". Mine would serge while driving though a parking lot.

I had no codes in the computer at all, I ran a can of sea foam thought a tank a gas, changed spark plugs(it was time any way), problem has not happened since.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You might try to reset the computer first. Disconnect the battery for 30 sec. Then restart the engine. If there is still a problem I would look for a vacuum leak. Check all of the vacuum lines, and the small rubber cap on the under side of the intake manifold (tough to see). You could also try replacing the idle air control sensor~$75.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,635 Posts
Check the coolant level, it might be low causing the intake air bypass thermal valve to cool off and raise the idle speed. This happened on my civic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the battery is low or has an internal draw it could cause this. Also if the altenator is having problems, it could lead to a high idle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after trying the all suggestions, I was putting in a new air filter and I noticed the halfway up the air intake 2 hoses had come loose. Attached them and problem solved. I had oil changed a couple weeks ago, and the guy checking the air filter must have loosen then up, and they finally worked loose. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another High Idle Problem on 2008 Element.

I have a 2008 EX AT. Here is the situation

Original problem was slight surging at highway speeds, low idle, and occasionally the E would sort of freak out coming off the freeway. Almost no power. Computer was giving a code for Throttle position sensor.

So, I bought a new Throttle Body from Honda, swapped it out including a new gasket. Note: this a 2008 E, it has a slightly different TB than the ones on the thread about cleaning the Idle control valve. There is only 1 connector, 2 coolant hoses, and one vacuum line on it, that's it.

Now, it has a new problem, it idles around 1200, and is giving a P0507 (high idle) code. I have tried the following things:

1) Check coolant level
2) Took the new TB off, looked at it, put it back on.
3) Changed the vacuum hose that comes off the throttle body, it seemed a little loose with the crappy clamps, so I put on real hose clamps.
4) Cleaned the original TB, reinstalled.

Still getting the same P0507 code, and still idling high. I have not driven it enough to see if the TPS problem is going to come back. Each time I took the TB off, I have removed the battery cable and allowed it to do it's "idle leaarn" for 10-15 minutes. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just had this happen...revs surging from 1000 to 2000. I hadnt driven it in a while so maybe that was it. I shut it off and restarted it and it hung at 1500 throwing P0507 and P0420 codes. I cleared codes and started it again...it seemed to idle normally and didn't throw anymore codes. I will be keeping an eye on this so keep us updated all who have had this problem and what fixed it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had this problem after a starter replacement at 118k. (no check engine light though). Car would surge in park from 1,000rpm to 2,000rpm.

It was solved by cleaning the IACV on the throttle body very well with carb cleaner and making sure the spinning valve on the IACV could spin freely and wasn't gunked up. I put a new gasket on the IACV as well. Followed this guide here:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57729&highlight=body

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today, while at a light the engine was at 1,200 rpm, instead of normal 700. Pulled into a lot and put in park, and it idled from 1,000 to 2,000 and back and forth. While driving at a steady 50, it would feel like it was trying to find the right gear, a slight hic-up. Drove a feel miles home, parked it , and logged on. Once post mentioned throttle control sensor. After sitting for 1 hour, it was not surging in park, from 1 to 2,000 but was idling at 1,200.

I have 114,000 and same problem began immediately after my element was cleaned. The guy detailing it without my knowledge decided to power wash the the engine, The surging occurs every 2 seconds. He then hooked up his diagnostic tool and this error code appeared—‘P0506’ which Google revealed 10 different sources. I hope what it turns out to be is a loose or broken vacuum line which should be an easier fix than some of the other problems in the list. Will follow up when I get the car back but be aware that I did have to hit the accelerator as the car cycled down as I very nearly lost power.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Will follow up when I get the car back but be aware that I did have to hit the accelerator as the car cycled down as I very nearly lost power.
Did you find anything?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts