Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I just completed an engine swap on my 2005 Element. I used a "JDM Import" engine from EBay. My E did not come with an EGR valve and just about all the JDM motors seemed to have them. I was told they would not be compatible, but that was not accurate information. I DID have to reuse all of my old accessories, and the upper half of the intake and the throttle body, but otherwise the swap worked out just fine. The Japanese accessories have different mounts and would not work with my A/C equipped US model. The throttle body was diffent and could not be used (no cruise). In the end, I essentially just used the long block from the JDM and it worked out just fine. FWIW, I took the motor out the top with no issues. Everything I could find said to take it out the bottom. I don't have the right setup to do that so I took it out with an engine lift/crane with no issues. I did take off the front end (very easy) AND the radiator support/radiator/condenser. If you have any questions about the swap, please let me know.

Todd

·
Registered
206 Posts
What was the price/cost on the replacement engine? I assume this was new?

Did you get a quote on how much a shop would charge to replace it? And just out of curiousity, how much would you charge someone else to swap out theirs, if they asked you to?

I think you're going to get more engine swaps in future years as the Element engines start dying out, but people want to keep their elements.

I know that even if I have to pay 3K for a new/rebuilt engine for mine, I'll have to consider it, as I may not be able to find another Green AWD EX that can serve as well as a mini-camper.

That's very cool that you could do it for yourself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a JDM import which supposedly had less than 65K miles on it (no way to verify that though). I paid about $750.00 shipped. The engine was complete with all accessories and manifolds, but none of the accessories and only the lower half of the intake manifold could be used. So you are essentially buying just the long block. I got a quote from one of the JDM importers to also do the swap. They were going to charge about $1200.00 INCLUDING the engine. It would have been totally worth it to have someone else do it for only $500.00!!! The only reason I did it myself was because I wanted to sandblast all the rusted bits, replace all seals and gaskets, etc. while the motor was out. That.....and I just don't trust other people to work on my cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,

I just completed an engine swap on my 2005 Element. I used a "JDM Import" engine from EBay. My E did not come with an EGR valve and just about all the JDM motors seemed to have them. I was told they would not be compatible, but that was not accurate information. I DID have to reuse all of my old accessories, and the upper half of the intake and the throttle body, but otherwise the swap worked out just fine. The Japanese accessories have different mounts and would not work with my A/C equipped US model. The throttle body was diffent and could not be used (no cruise). In the end, I essentially just used the long block from the JDM and it worked out just fine. FWIW, I took the motor out the top with no issues. Everything I could find said to take it out the bottom. I don't have the right setup to do that so I took it out with an engine lift/crane with no issues. I did take off the front end (very easy) AND the radiator support/radiator/condenser. If you have any questions about the swap, please let me know.

Todd
Did you have to swap the cast block part off of your JDM motor (2 bolts And 2 nuts with 2 studs) that the accessories actually bolt up to from the original element? I just put a jdm engine in my element and I’m currently running it but I had to do some rigging that I didn’t like to make the belt and power steering pump bolt up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,

Todd
Did you pull the transmission with it or separated them before pulling the block?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts