Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need an engine replacement as a result of a blown headgasket, knocking bottom end, etc.? Not many resources locally for a stock motor swap or wanting to swap a motor with better internal design and possibly more power?

I’m putting this thread up to clarify and help other prospective element owners get a concrete answer “if” the JDM K24A/ K24A2 ((3 lobe cam (real vtec)) is transplantable into a manual or automatic element 03-11 (K24A4 or K24A8)

To clarify we are not talking about the JDM K24A 2 cam lobe motors (160hp) as those are direct swaps, this thread addresses the Acura TSX/JDM K24A 3 cam lobe motors (200hp)

Drumroll....The quick answer is yes but....

To get it operating 100% a properly flashed & tuned ecu is ideal. Options are ktuner or a full on aftermarket engine management system etc. One essentially needs something that is compatible and capable to create a new fuel and ignition map for the motor.

The intake manifold, injectors, coils and majority of sensors on the JDM K24A/ K24A2 will work. The idea is to utilize the factory element harness so that the plugs will seemlessly connect into all the sensors on the new motor. If the wiring connectors don’t properly seat into the sensors on the “new” motor you will need to remove the corresponding sensor and accessories on your “old” motor and transfer it to the new motor ie. Vtec solenoid, map or maf sensor, throttle bodies, fuel rail, water pump plate, altenator, heater hoses, coolant pipes/ neck, etc.

If you dont care about check engine lights related to the motor running lean, rich, etc. then the stock element ecu will technically get the car running, provided all the latter mentioned was successfully executed. There are huge pitfalls as its very risky should the vehicle run lean (engine detonation) or significant fuel loss as a result of extra fuel being injected as a result of the larger injectors.

Truly hope this helps someone out there as there isn’t a whole lot of information out there narrowing it down.

There have been some previous threads of older elements sucessfully completing the swap and some short responses of newer ones but nothing to this extent.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if you actually wound up doing the swap. Any major hook up issues and nuances you can share with us if you were able to go through with the swap? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those pictures and information are of my swap experiences. Was it not clear?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Those pictures and information are of my swap experiences. Was it not clear?
“DID I STUTTER?”

Sorry. I had to. To be serious tho, kudos to you for taking time to answer one of the big questions people who want more power from their element ask (and doing it quite well I should add). Perhaps you should put some type of disclaimer at the top that doing this kinda work on a car is harder than the write up makes it seem, so little Bobby who just got his first car and has no experience in the garage doesn’t end up in way over his head. You do you tho.
Nice job again, regardless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What year is your Element and did you use the old transmission?

I am currently doing one of these swaps into my 04, and apparently the 03-04 had a different transmission (changed in 05) that was controlled by the ECU... didn't know this until we programmed an AT TSX ECU at the dealership and it won't seem to engage the transmission; talked with someone at ktuner since you mentioned their EMS and their's will only work on the 03-04 if it's MT and has a re-flashed 05 ECU or newer.

So, right now it looks like I may need to swap in an 05 AT AWD trans but I wanted to get some insight on that first before throwing out more money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes you should use your cars transmission and ECU.

Programming a TSX ecu is not ideal.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I have the Ktuner software and am thinking of doing a head swap. My tuner said I should be fine once he re-tunes it. It is encouraging to see people like you go all out with a full swap. YourOldPalElmer is correct, this is a ton of work. How is it running right now? What ECU/ software did you end up using?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts