Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have a 04 Elee that I bought in September with about 86k on it I think. I was replacing an 02 Outback that was driving reeeally sluggishly. A Honda salesman I trust told me at one point that it was likely "tired". Anyway, lately, even keeping up on oil changes and what not, I'm starting to get the same feeling from the Element. I know that they're not super powerful anyway but I definitely notice a change. Could it be the timing chain? I was hoping that since it's a chain it wouldn't need to be replaced. I'm obviously not a DIY mechanic. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You will need to provide some more information to get a good answer. Like when were the sparkplugs last changed, plug wires, coil packs, valves checked, what have you done to check for carbon deposits in the intake system, any codes that might be for something plugged in the exhaust system, etc., etc.?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will need to provide some more information to get a good answer. Like when were the sparkplugs last changed, plug wires, coil packs, valves checked, what have you done to check for carbon deposits in the intake system, any codes that might be for something plugged in the exhaust system, etc., etc.?
Ah, well this is a good place for me to start. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes it is likely that items like the spark plugs may need to be changed at that mileage and it is possible a fuel line treatment/ injector cleaning might be needed. Also the air filter and all the fluids might be needing a change.

If the car has not had any major "tune up" work and I quote the tune up because tune ups are a bit different with the modern car than decades past it might need a good mechanic to do a once over and service the entire thing. A good mechanic will be able to check the "tired" engine symptoms and notice anything that is needing attention.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
At that mileage I would also do a compression test, wile the plugs are out.

Also have the valves adjusted. Then do another compression test.

Dom

·
Registered
284 Posts
Compression tests are worthless

Do a leakdown test. Compression test tells you nothing. If i want to know what is going on with an engine back in the old days I ran a leakdown never a compression test. Today if I had some indication of increased oil consumption. I would do a leakdown. A engine with a 100k on it with a good maintenance history shouldn't need a compression or leakdown.

Change the plugs, switch to Am and accelerate and listen for increasing static as you accelerate? None plug wires are in good shape.

Clean the throttle body and pull codes if any. Consider changing O2 sensor(s).
Check all connections for fuel injectors.

Something else to try is disconnect the battery overnight to blank out the ECu etc and any learned behavior. Reconnect and start fresh.

Make sure cat is functioning correctly.

Fred

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Make sure you have your radio code before you unhook your battery!!!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I thought 100k was the break in period on the Elements. :lol:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts