Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this community and have a question on way my 2010 Element has to warm up every morning, is this just because it's winter or some other mechanical cause?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I have found that the cause is in the fuel system and that it's the fuel injectors that need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
2004 Fiji EX-AWD
273 Posts
After you get them cleaned(legitimately), report back as I assumed this higher idle cold start is normal even with clean injectors.
Mine starts up at 1500 and drops eventually to normal 700 after about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im going to try putting fuel system cleaner in the tank to see if it has any effect before manually cleaning or replacing the injectors.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi,
The product "Techron" has a good name ( Japanese Sport Bike Owners like it!) and I run a bottle through every few months...

Never had a problem with injectors, I also buy name brand gas, even though I do use regular grade.
7081073_chv_67740_pri_larg.jpg

·
Registered
308 Posts
What specific issue are you having? Is it just higher idle or something else? Mine will idle at 1500rpm for a minute or so in the winter and then drop down. This is normal behavior.

·
Registered
2004 Fiji EX-AWD
273 Posts
Hi,
The product "Techron" has a good name ( Japanese Sport Bike Owners like it!) and I run a bottle through every few months...

Never had a problem with injectors, I also buy name brand gas, even though I do use regular grade.
But you still have the typical higher idle at startup, right? And eventually falls to normal 700 approx?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(response to
What specific issue are you having? Is it just higher idle or something else? Mine will idle at 1500rpm for a minute or so in the winter and then drop down. This is normal behavior.)

My car starts in the winter at 1000- 1200 rpm and over the course of 5-10 minutes it idles down to 700- 600 rpm.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,179 Posts
That is normal behavior for almost any vehicle; the engine is given additional fuel/air to get is started (the fuel doesn't vaporize as easily when cold) and warm it up faster. The cold idle speed will be dependent on the temperature, as tedsti indicated, his goes up to 1500 rpm. What part of the country are you in? What is the exterior temperature when it goes to 1000-1200? There is no need to wait until it warms up to drive it. Start it, give it 5-10 seconds (I start, put on seat belt, make seat and mirror adjustments if necessary, turn on lights, radio, etc.) to let the oil start circulating, then drive conservatively until it warms up - should drive conservatively even after warming up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm out in Kentucky and right now the weather is 30° or below, the problem is if I don't let it warm up and try to drive the engine stalls, I just put fuel system cleaner in it and now waiting for it to warm up has been significantly reduced.

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT (two!)
1,179 Posts
Ever heard of Steve Overbeck? Long time auto shop owner in Cincinnati who used to do a weekly radio talk show on 550 (WKRC) in which folks could call in about problems with their cars. For problems like you described, he would recommend a tank of Shell premium fuel with a bottle of Techron, then run another tank of premium, then another tank with another bottle of Techron.

I use is occasionally in all my vehicles and whenever I go south, I try to use Chevron gas which has Techron in it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Reminds me of Scotty Kimler, I always use regular gas from marathon.
Hi,
Marathon is actually listed as a quality gas outlet...

Meaning, it is not a cheap gas,

I love Techron and learned about it from some members of my Kawasaki Motorcycle Club!

It does help keep injectors clean and I use it now and then, a lot of time on sale at Auto Zone.

·
Registered
224 Posts
How many miles are on the engine?
Cold start stumbles are a common issue when valves are out of spec...

Reactions: seagiant
1 - 20 of 24 Posts