Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the Element a lot. Very different from my Ram, but I'm getting used to the power difference. It's totally out of character for me to have such a different looking vehicle, but I am really appreciating the room and utility. And personally, I like the looks, especially the 09-10.

First, I have a set of bad tires (or a bad tire). Took it by the stealership last week and to quote "you have a bad tire." I had a local guy take his time and balance them and they are better but not perfect. A little vibration at 65-70 mph. Supposed to go back to the dealer Monday.

Second, I had a chip in my windshield on the third day of ownership. I had Safelite come out and they totally messed up the repair. So a 1mm chip became a dime-sized place on my widshield. Insurance won't cover a replacement without a $250.00 deductible, a new PPG windshield is $221.95.

I'd like to think all my bad luck is gone, but every other vehicle I own has had this kind of "karma" if you will. Ugh.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Sorry your having bad luck.

The tires that come on the E, are junk when they are not bad! It's the most often seen complaint about the Element.

The windshield is another thing. Mine has 2 chips, and my wifes has 3.

Dom

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, I have already made plans to replace the tires. Kind of crummy though that they are so bad and Honda won't move to a different tire.

The windshield thing is also disappointing. But I know all vehicles have their quirks.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The $500 you will spend on a GOOD set of tires will soon be forgotten as the right tire makes the Element such a fine driving machine!

Check the recommendations here on the boards- there are several good tire options.

The windshield is mainly bad luck- my wife's '05 E made it through 25K of coal country driving without a chip, my '05 got five chips and a bullseye in 30K- though none of the damage spread and some of the stuff that impacted the windshield was huge!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Please look at the Michelin LTX before you pull the trigger! I have had a set for 80,000 miles.

They are great all around tires. Made it to West Va in all that snow last weekend with no problem and they are great in the rain.

I upsized to the 225 for aesthetics also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They replaced the "bad" tire and it rides much better. I will try to get some life out of the stock tires while I put some money back for the LTX's. I have had them before and they are great tires.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
They replaced the "bad" tire and it rides much better. I will try to get some life out of the stock tires while I put some money back for the LTX's. I have had them before and they are great tires.
Since off-road appears to be no issue for you (2WD) you might also want to consider the Michelin HydroEdge. I got them on all 4 of my Hondas and it will get better mpg and longer life than the LTX...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry about your bad luck. I'm still driving on the OE tires from when I bought my Element in May 2008. The OE tires are pretty good and not too expensive.

I also have a chip on the windshield this last road trip that I drove from Oklahoma to Florida for the holidays. I'm definitely going to have to get the hood air deflector.

A wonder how much a Honda windshield costs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got my lower grille mod done. Feel tons better about that.

I also found a piece of trim in the rear near the seat that has to be replaced. But the part is less than $10 online.

Other than that, I'm liking the E more every day!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Put Kumho Solus Standard Touring All Season Kr21s on mine. Nice ride, great price. Discount Tire matched Tirerack's $72 (plus the shipping) - $335 set of 4. (Discount had them at $100 per).
Have run Kumho's on both my vehicles for years - super tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts