Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I want to install a CB radio Xciever in my center console as pictured below. (I am aware that that is not a CB unit, It's just a placeholder.) I really want a clean install, so I planned to just bore right out the bottom of the console (pic 2, just to the lower left of the bottom left bolt), and run the wires from there. My question is, how can I get the wires (antenna, intercom etc.) to the place where I have wires passing thru the firewall (where the clutch pedal would be on a manual)? I really would not like to remove the whole center console due to the amount of work involved, and due to the fact that I'm not too comfortable removing the plastic clips and things. There is a little access hatch on the left side of the console that is big enough to work in, do you guys think I could possible fish the wires all the way up there? If there's another (easier) way to get the wires outside that I'm overlooking, please let me know.
-William

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any ideas? I know someone has a way to do this. If anyone has a a source for how to take apart/remove the center console, that would be great too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know pulling the console is a pain but it gets easier the more you do it. I have not taken an element's sc console apart, so I would not be much help there. It would look way cleaner to route the wires under the console and have every thing tucked. I am adding a diagram from majestic honda I hope it helps you can see the mounting points. Also after all the clips and/or screws are out it should come up easy if not then you missed one. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...y3=5DR+SC&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=CONSOLE+(2)

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's doable. it's how I ran my aux in to the back of my deck. if you put a hole in the bottom of the console you can run the wires up the side of the little storage spot under the cup holders that's on the floor. From there you can snake them up past the sub and over and out the firewall. That being said I think while it seems like more work, it will probably be much quicker and easier to just pull the console for the install. It will give you much more room to work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I do want to pull the console. My only thought is that I will break parts that I can't afford to fix. I really hate the way all these plastic panels are held together, with all the clips and stuff. I will look at that majestic honda image, though it is pretty small. This shall be fun.

Also, Can I safely remove both front seats? I've heard of a bunch of people having airbag trouble after doing so. I really would not like to remove the seats.

Twolane, I saw what you did, did you take out your seats? Does that little center console tray on the floor come off separately?

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Service manual:
H&A (site sponsor)
Helm Inc.

Yes, there are connectors under both front seats. Removing and reinstalling a seat is no biggie if you follow the protocol, but operating with a passenger's seat removed would upset the logic for the seat belts (automatic tensioners), SRS, and OPDS—unless you hack it correctly. That would call for the electrical manual and some willingness to assume risk.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rambler, Thanks for the link. I've been itching to buy the service manual for a while now. You don't by any chance make videos with legos in them do you?
Youtube
The user name reminded me of yours.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I found a very easy way to do this, I will post pics tomorrow. Once I figured it out, it took about 5 minutes to complete. I think you guys will like it.
-William

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey stove,
I have been toying with getting a CB radio to take up the slack where the cell phones fail. When I am in the woods I like the idea of a hand-held and a mobile unit for com. It's just when you go to a Radio Shack etc, they are clueless to the technology. Proper matching of an antenna to the radio is important as is the frequency. I am technically lost at this point.
Have CB's improved as far as static?
Any info to make an educated purchased would be appreciated.
MDW

·
Registered
510 Posts
My only caution would be the placement you had in the first picture. That place would effectively block your console aux & power ports. While you could get to them... you would likely encounter some difficulty using them. My suggestion would be to place it at the back of the console (opposite the ports). You could create a small valley with a drill or a dremel and then smooth it off with black silicone for your handset wire. As far as removing the center speaker enclosure... its really quite easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts