Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a week ago my MIL came on and I brought it into the dealership. It has about 21k miles on it, so I figured it would be under warranty. They read the codes and said that it was an evap leak.

They had it up on the lift and showed me that one of the evap tubes had been "chewed" through by some rodent. I believe it was tube #17. It looked like it had a hairline crack in it, but I was a little skeptical

They said that they didn't have the part in stock, but they would overnight it and that the total for repair would be about $300. Does that seem right? Do they need to drain the gas tank for this?

Would it be fair for me to ask for the shipping receipt, I think the part only costs like $5 and this seems like a steep charge for such a simple fix.

THANKS!

PS sorry for my first post being asking for help, I have lurked a long time and love to read about people problems/fixes/mod/jokes. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
They said that they didn't have the part in stock, but they would overnight it and that the total for repair would be about $300. Does that seem right? Do they need to drain the gas tank for this?

Would it be fair for me to ask for the shipping receipt, I think the part only costs like $5 and this seems like a steep charge for such a simple fix.

THANKS!

PS sorry for my first post being asking for help, I have lurked a long time and love to read about people problems/fixes/mod/jokes. :)
You by law in most states must get a receipt with a charged price of the part and the labor separate. It does not have to reflect MSRP of the part, only the charged price. Oh yes, dealers do charge different prices for the exact same parts. There is no need to overnight the part your car will not burst into flames, have them order it normal stock. If you buy the part over the counter you will receive a receipt, typically most parts departments charge a percent to overnight an item, but that is not by any means a die hard rule. The receipt will show again the price charged, not always MSRP so be warned and shop around. Since you know what the price of the part is, you have the advantage, you can try and argue with the parts counter people if they come with some left field price, but that may not get you very far, as that price (price matrix)is set by the dealer principal not counter people. My suggestion is to order the part online, and have a local trusted garage do the work. My feeling is the dealership tech is trying to make up the time he lost for a non warranty repair, hence the high price.

Asking for a shipping receipt will get strange looks, and more then likely upset counter people showing you a piece of paper with a part number on it, devoid of any charges as that is handled internally between the dealer and honda. I worked parts for 9 years, no prices on any invoice from the OEM.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.