Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader, first time poster, so be gentle :). Anyway my Element which I love had the maintance light come on about the time I was about to get it serviced. Thought it would be something simple, but the Honda dealer tells me that it's a P0498 alarm which in short is a "EVAP System Low Voltage." I have not had any luck finding solutions or an explanation to this problem on this forum or online. The dealership seemed unclear about the issue (no local problems) and wants me to bring it back so the can try and find the problem, that's fine. However, my problem is that my 3 year warranty expired 4 months ago, although I only have 35,000+ miles :mad:. I was just curious if any of you die-hard Element forum fans have heard of this issue or have any ideas before I bring it back to the dealer and get stiffed with a big bill :-(? Sounds like it could be expensive? Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Long time reader, first time poster, so be gentle :). Anyway my Element which I love had the maintance light come on about the time I was about to get it serviced. Thought it would be something simple, but the Honda dealer tells me that it's a P0498 alarm which in short is a "EVAP System Low Voltage." I have not had any luck finding solutions or an explanation to this problem on this forum or online. The dealership seemed unclear about the issue (no local problems) and wants me to bring it back so the can try and find the problem, that's fine. However, my problem is that my 3 year warranty expired 4 months ago, although I only have 35,000+ miles :mad:. I was just curious if any of you die-hard Element forum fans have heard of this issue or have any ideas before I bring it back to the dealer and get stiffed with a big bill :-(? Sounds like it could be expensive? Thanks.
I've not heard of this specific problem, but the first step in diagnosing any CEL (check engine light) is always erasing the code from the ECU to see if it comes back. Lots of times, the check engine light is thrown by some electrical anomoly that might never return. If it comes back, then you know for sure you have a problem...

You can stop by any Autozone to get this done by them and it cost nothing. They have an OBD-II scan tool oh hand to pull & erase codes.

Good Luck! :D

PS: Tighten your gas cap. The EVAP system is used to store & burn fuel vapors from the fuel tank. It's possible it's related...

·
12,179 Posts
DTC P0498:
EVAP Canister Vent Shut Valve Circuit Low voltage.

Not very common on an E but i am leaning towards replacing the vent shut valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The dealership did say they erased the error code but it cam back on when the engine was started. As 94eg suggested, I did take it to Autozone today to have them check the CEL and it cam back with the same thing.

EVAP canister shut valve circuit low voltage.
Probable cause:
1. Open or short circuit condition.
2. Poor electrical connection.
3. Faulty EVAP canister vent shut valve.

Looks like I will have time to get it to the Dealer next week and have them figure it out and repair it. Thanks again and if anybody else has any ideas or solutions, please let me know. I will post what solution they come back with when I get it repaired for future referance.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here's a picture detailing all the fuel-pipe components. This contains all EVAP system components as well. I've also attached a link to the page with all part numbers and descriptions. BTW: It is my guess that the low-voltage of the EVAP system is indicating a problem w/ system operation, and not so much a bad sensor. As you can see, the EVAP system is quite complicated now...

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/online/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?catalogID=62&productID=15&yearID=21&doorID=3&gradeID=457&areaID=2&transmissionID=3&originID=-1&colorLabelIDs=-1&colorLabelID=-1&sectionID=5&idAndImageID=11068 464973&refNo=&isBigPicture=False&isDisplayAll=True&pageName=pageName

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
glad mine was a simple fix I had a spiders nest in the tube that is labeled #17

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help and information :). However, I've already decided to let the dealership sort out this mess. I'll get it into the dealership next week and let you know the damage. Might be something simple, but with my luck I'm expecting it won't :D.

Thanks again,
Ty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed

Took the E to the stealership last week to have them figure out the EVAP warning issue. Well, at some point a critter (squirell, chipmunk, etc) got hungry and decided to start eating some wires up in a remote area around the gas tank! I hope it got a nice shock at some point during it's feast!! Anyway, the wiring harness was repaired for $210.00 and the problem was fixed, could have probably been much worse. My faith in the Honda's reliability has been restored. Thanks for the ideas everybody.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts