Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase myself an E. I drove the automatic, hated it, drove the 5spd, liked it MUCH better! It would be nice if they put the ol' 3.0 240HP in there. Does anybody know if this will ever happen?

· Registered
126 Posts
I know there are a few folks on the board with a chunk more tech knowledge than I, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is enough room in the engine compartment for the Honda 6-cyl. Adding a longer transverse mounted engine would be difficult in the already cramped compartment without making the vehicle wider. There also might be a problem with the AWD system handling the added torque. I think the design modifications will be to great for Honda to consider a 6-cyl. However, with all the inquiries I've read from parents, they may release a larger version of the E for families, and that could have a 6, but I personally hope they don't. Maybe it's time for an Odessey restyle instead.

· Registered
338 Posts
The Element could very well get a SIX. The Saturn Vue is the same size as the Element. Saturn has bought 50,000 Honda 6 CYL 3.5 engines and transmissions for the 2004 Saturn Vue.

Measuring by the reaction of my neighbors, if they came out with a bigger Element to compete with the Trailblazer and Explorer - Honda would steal a lot of customers.

That is to say, leave this version of the Element and create a big Brother.

· Registered
5 Posts
Honda does have plans to build a compact truck, which could very well give way to a larger Element or CRV....unless the truck is built on the Pilot platform, which would mean that the Pilot would remain the "big brother".

I doubt there'd ever be a V6 Element, unless the car grows in size. Not that the motor wouldn't fit, but more so because the current size would not be able to handle that kind of hp. A 200hp Element would be more likely, but I doubt that, either....unless someone swaps internals with a TSX. This I'd love to see. :)

· Registered
2 Posts
The Element's size is just right -- it doesn't need to be bigger. It just needs a bigger engine. The 240 hp V6 from the Pilot would be perfect is it would fit -- but then you might get stuck with an automatic tranny.

I'm looking for a "type- R" Element to come out -- more than 200 hp, AWD, and a 6 speed manual, and higher towing capacity (I would like 2500 lbs -- then the Element woulkd be ideal)

The stock engine could easily be brought up to 200 hp (with the head from the Acura TSX). Add a blower, (and an adjustable height suspension to optimize both road and off-road travel) and the Element could be both fun and functional....

· Registered
1 Posts
I have been thinking about buying an E but fear the little 4 cyl is too tiny - can you get up mountains with a couple of people and a bunch of gear ?

I have a Ford F 150 4wd now - which is a beast but I'm wondering if anybody has any thoughts on power -seems like a 6 cyl would be perfect

When do the 2004's come out ?

Thanks Otis

· Registered
1,118 Posts
The element is 160 hp. Most small trucks like the ranger are 170. I have had no problem with power even in the mountians with 5 people in it. I was driving a 230 hp dakota and do not miss the power.

· Registered
155 Posts
I've been reading the 'is a 4-cylinder engine big enough' threads for a while, and aside from the fact that my Element manages to get up (and down) mountains with a load of gear and with no problems, I am amazed so many people think this is an issue.

Around most of Europe, partly due to fuel costs, 4-cylinder engines are far more common than V6s. It doesn't prevent people driving up and down the Alps for example, usually with less than 2.4L. And it's not that europeans drive slowly, as anyone who's tried the autostradas or autobahns in Italy and Germany (respectively) or motorways in the UK would atest.

My last car in the UK was a 1.6L 4 cylinder which used to carry me around at speeds up to 85mph (the limit there is 70) including driving in the Welsh mountains and Scottish highlands with no sense of inadequate power, poor acceleration or that I needed something bigger.

It seems to me we're used to V6s and beyond because cars here have traditionally been big and heavy needing more brute force to move them round at a reasonable pace. The E isn't big, and it's not particularly heavy, and I find the 160hp 4-cylinder engine to be more than adequate.

· Registered
338 Posts
I put four in and some cargo, and I can feel the difference. I think a six should be optional.

If you want a 4 banger you can have it, and those that want a bigger engine can get it too !

America is a beautiful thing.

· Registered
141 Posts
[quote:300a342ae5="whonowz"]The 160HP i-VTech seems to have plenty of zip. The fact that it doesn't burn as much fuel nor pollute as much as a bigger engine was a selling point for me.[/quote:300a342ae5]

It was a MAJOR selling point for me. Considering I was trading in a low-tech V6 from GM (truck) for the Element . I've been noticing a HUGE difference at the gas pumps.

· Registered
87 Posts
no..i do not think so.
they need to have V6 markets and I4 markets..
a element with V6..what is the price going to be? :lol:

· Registered
3,445 Posts
That high-tech six has SPEAKERS to recreate the sound of the non-firing three cylinders when it's running in "economy" mode. Ah, the modern age...we used to want to muffle engine noise, and here's an example of why to increase engine noise. Speakers, I still can't get over that! But back on topic, I like the current powertrain just fine for this vehicle.

· Registered
176 Posts
I read a post that talked about how an RSX head sounds like an "easy" HP boost BUT in fact may not work at all. Apparently the E engine with an RSX head would exceed the strength capabilities of the engine because it has a longer stroke then an RSX. I'll look for the post I did in the past with this detail, I found it on a Honda tuner page...

Best option I have found (sans a 6 cylinder) is an Injen or KN cold air intake and a free flow (and mellow) exhaust. This combination should get you into the 190HP range which I expect would give that extra 'umph' that the E seems to lack (although for most driving, I find my auto E to be more then adequate - I do have the KN air filter in the stock box which seemed to help low end throttle response...waiting for the KN Typhoon CAI).

· Registered
107 Posts
I'm sort of biased, but the only way you can make real horsepower on the four would be to run some type of forced induction setup.

GReddy has a turbocharger kit that works on the K-series; it just needs new custom intercooler piping. If you want 200+ horsepower, go for a turbo, or wait for Jackson Racing's Supercharger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.