Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I did this mod a few months back and I thought I'd share it with all you fine people.:) I know in the past a few others have done this mod, but since everyone seems to do their mods somewhat differently, I'd share my version.

Here's what the retrofitted l.e.d. HVAC control unit looks like.

^^They are much bluer in person and really match the instrument cluster leds nicely.

^^ I used two 5mm blue leds, one white 5mm (used in the center temp knob) and three blue 3mm leds. I also removed the factory leds and replaced them with 3mm leds that I had to solder onto the circuit board. Notice I used a green for the recirculation, blue for the AC and red for the defroster. All of the factory color filters were removed. I also used reflective tape on the inner areas of the knobs.

^^Here's what the HVAC leds bulbs looked like after installing them into the factory bulb holders. Notice the soldered and heat shrinked resistors on all of them. Also to prevent hot spots of light I sanded the tips of them down flat, as this causes the light to spread out more and gives a more even look.

Here's an album with more detailed pictures of the HVAC unit led retrofit.
http://img196.imageshack.us/g/1004042k.jpg/

Thanks for checking it out.:)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool!!!

Great pix, and nice write up.
Why thank you Sir.:)

I really wish I would have taken more detailed pics, but as you may know it gets kind of difficult to have to keep stopping to take pics as you go along.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good, +1 for the Ricky and Bubbles Mod
Thanks. :) Trailer Park Boys The Movie FTW!. 8)

Nice work, Eww, and thanks for the writeup.
Thank you and you're welcome. :)

Can I ask for details on the ebay seller? (PM me if you wish)
Well if you just want to know the seller, just look for Ebay seller kryptonlighting77 I would have posted a link, but as you may know we're not permitted to post any Ebay links. :|

Fell free to PM me, or just ask in this thread if you would like any more details.
^^Same goes out to everyone else on here. ;-)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im curious as to why you didnt get 12v LED's and went the resistor route?
I've never really been a fan of using 12volt l.e.d.s and I had/still have a lot of 3mm and 5mm l.e.d.s and resistors that I wanted to get use out of. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
What was the value of the resistor you used for the 3/5 mm LED's in the H VAC
controls? Also how well do they dim with the dash light dimmer control?
My cup holder LED's dim some but not the same as the inconsistent lamps
in the dash controls.
I'm also planning to do the same thing, except I don't need to do the instrument
cluster. They started using LED's in the 07 and newer E's. I also want to replace
the inconsistent lamps in the buttons of the radio, VSA, cruse cont., and the
switches in the drivers side door armrest.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=554152&postcount=23

·
Registered
449 Posts
can you do a step by step on installing this? and also, im kinda curious, on the HVAC controls, why arent the red indicators on for the left and right selection knobs?

·
Registered
816 Posts
can you do a step by step on installing this? and also, im kinda curious, on the HVAC controls, why arent the red indicators on for the left and right selection knobs?
yoshi...if you go on youtube,,and search honda element dashboard light...there is a step by step video someone put up...

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What was the value of the resistor you used for the 3/5 mm LED's in the H VAC
controls? Also how well do they dim with the dash light dimmer control?
My cup holder LED's dim some but not the same as the inconsistent lamps
in the dash controls.
I'm also planning to do the same thing, except I don't need to do the instrument
cluster. They started using LED's in the 07 and newer E's. I also want to replace
the inconsistent lamps in the buttons of the radio, VSA, cruse cont., and the
switches in the drivers side door armrest.
You didn't mention which color leds, so I listed all their values.

Blue= 470 OHM
White= 470 OHM
Red= 560 OHM
Green= 470 OHM

I really don't know how well they dim, as I haven't tried to dim them with the dimmer yet. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Hmm...maybe I can try to record them dimming, although I don't know how well my camera would pick it up.:|

I still need to add my leds to the door, fog light switch and cruise control switch. I did replace my shifter/gear indicator with a few modified blue leds. I swapped out the Hazard button/switch with a red led too. I'm fairly busy at the moment, but when I get a chance I'll try to post pictures of them. :)
Sorry, but since my mod is already finished, I'd have to remove/redo everything just to to do a step by step and that's just not something I'm interesting in doing. I had taken as many pictures as I could while doing the mod, but it becomes difficult/time consuming to take pictures of every step being done, when trying to actually get finished. I don't have a problem helping out anyone on here and I will try to answer any questions the best I can. :)

That red indicator on the center trim knob is more visible, because the led I used behind that knob is white and it projects more light to the indicator. In person those two indicator knobs on the sides can be seen, they're are just not as bright as the center one. I chose to use a white led in that center knob, because I wanted to keep the red and blue colors looking just as they should.
do you know where to get good LED's? preffered color pink.
Here's where I get most of my leds and yes they do have the pink leds you're looking for.
http://www.oznium.com/led

·
Registered
816 Posts
just ordered mine

aww an e..thank you very much for the pictures and help with finding the bulbs,,i just placed my order this morning from the same seller you used,,the total price for 8 blue bulbs and 2 white,,came out to $20.00....i will post pictures as well when they come and i do the install...

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^You're quite welcome.

Nice 8) They actually look even better in person, so I think you will really like how they look in your gauge cluster.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Wow! Very nice, Eww. Excellent modding and great write up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Eww-an E do you happen to remember the Ebay seller you got the instrument cluster leds from?
I actually had listed the sellers name kryptonlighting77 on page one, but as you can tell Big Smoke was kind enough to list it in his post. :)

I'm going to go through my pictures and try to find some that might show a few more details and then add them to those albums I posted. I'll post in this thread again to let you know when I've added them to the album.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts