Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used the cooler a couple of times but I find that I'm using it more for storage than a cooler. Anyone else doing the same? I think it would be nice if there were some dividers in there to keep stuff separated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah honestly, I don't care for the cooler. I can't think of a situation I've ever been in where I needed a cooler last minute. Personally I'm planning on ditching the cooler and putting in the SC center console in its place. If I do need a cooler I'll just grab a dedicated one and bring it with me. Which is much quicker than pulling the cooler out of the car, taking it inside, cleaning it out, filling it, and then putting it back.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Honestly I've never used the cooler as a cooler but just to store stuff in it. It's a neat idea but I'm lazy and would be a rare case if I were to take it out, fill it with ice and drinks and actually use it. :roll:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Ditto...

Use it for storage... Honda never thought that maybe, just maybe, we all have coolers BEFORE we bought our Es... No...? A cooler that small is <$10 almost anywhere so I guess they want us to keep our electronics (cell, GPS, MP3) "cool" while we're driving around enjoying the E-Life...?

How are you guys liking the XM radio...?

LBD

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
me too. But more as a work box. I put my work stuff, net book,charger,phone,wallet, plus paperwork in there(yea it all fits). and I carry it from house to car to work. I like that my laptop bag disguises as a center console when it sits in the car.

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I use it as a cooler on long-ish trips when I like to have a steady supply of Cokes to keep me awake. I have a couple of those Blue Ice things that I keep in my freezer and throw into the cooler when I need the cold. They work great and don't make any mess at all.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use it as a cooler on long-ish trips when I like to have a steady supply of Cokes to keep me awake. I have a couple of those Blue Ice things that I keep in my freezer and throw into the cooler when I need the cold. They work great and don't make any mess at all.
That's a good idea! Didn't think of using those...would be less of a mess and melted ice going everywhere when you get a drink out of there. Heck I might actually start using it with that simple tip!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Storage for me too. Love the XM, can't stop listening to Blue Collar and Raw Dog.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can the cooler/console be retro-fitted in an '08 EX?

I'd like to get a bit more storage in my E. I like the SC console, but I might even consider installing the cooler/console in my '08 EX. Can it be done? (don't see why not, but Honda parts guy was clueless). If so, does anyone want to sell theirs, or know where I could get a complete set of parts?
Thanks,
axdop

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cooler

Keep mine filled with 5 bottles of water. Soon to go green, bought 4 metal refillables bottles. Its nice but your really better off using a cooler you have laying round the house. I'm sure the ice would stay longer.
Its better for storage than cooler.
Honda's trying!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought one of the Ebay coolers for my 2006 LX from Ebay seller "dnthte":

Total price was $65.98. Instant shipping, no problems whatsoever, NIB. Installation was a 10 minute job. I found mounting tips throughout the forum: Grab the cup holders in the old one and pull straight up. Pops right out. The installation clips that come with the new one are too short to clip back in, but there is a single mounting screw in the front under the removable cup holder. The hole for the mounting screw hole lines up with a metal bracket. I drilled a pilot hole in the bracket and used a self tapping screw with a washer. For now, that is the way I left it and it is pretty stable. Adding additional mounting screws further back will require some thought - There are two mounting points toward the back for two additional screws, but the bracing and mounts extend about 3/8" below the bottom of the unit, This prevents the rear of the unit from sitting flush to the floor. My Home Depot carpet hides the gap, but it is not a permanent solution. There was a post that involved trimming the mounting brackets that would provide a flush fit.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I cut out the bracket and used the two mounting holes. although it does not sit flush with the floor. once mounted it will sink into the plastic flooring and become flush.

hope that make sense. it didn't to me ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looking for Cooler for my LX

Yeah honestly, I don't care for the cooler. I can't think of a situation I've ever been in where I needed a cooler last minute. Personally I'm planning on ditching the cooler and putting in the SC center console in its place. If I do need a cooler I'll just grab a dedicated one and bring it with me. Which is much quicker than pulling the cooler out of the car, taking it inside, cleaning it out, filling it, and then putting it back.
Just bought a 2010 Element LX (3 days old today!)...asked about the cooler with Honda and they want $258.00 for the thing! If you're in the market to sell it let me know...

·
Registered
23 Posts
My E was not even 24 hours old and took it to Montauk Pt. NY to fish. Filled the cooler with striped bass fillets and it worked great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts