Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Element for 2 1/2 months now, 5100 miles and drove it to Orlando, FL from Indianapolis, IN and back and loved it! The E has developed a back cracking or popping sound in the rear hatch area. Makes no difference if the sunroof is open or closed and it's very annoying to say the least. Started once I got to Orlando and has continued and truth be told, if it continues I won't be able to stand it. I have an appointment in the morning at Penske Honda so they can take a look at it. Hopefully it can be rectified. Somehow I'm wondering what my options will be if it's not. I did get the extended warranty since I plan to have it for a long time. Just wondering if anyone else has had anything like this and if so, what was the solution to the problem? Maybe I can get another pop up up front or an electric slide opening? I'll keep the group posted on my service.

Holla holla!

·
Registered
155 Posts
If the noise happens with the sunroof open or closed, it tends to suggest it's not the sunroof that's causing it, and in fact there have prevoiously been quite a few reports of cracking/poping noises from the rear and if I recall correctly at least in some cases it turned out to be dry hinges on the upper tailgate - inserting some grease resolved the problem. In another instance it was a poorly adjusted tailgate latch. These are certainly things worth looking at.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took your info and called Penske Honda and when I went to tell the service representative of your post he told me it was in my lift gate or rear hatch area and the team had it apart and were working on it. I was shocked! :shock: The service manager said he applauded my research in being involved in sites that would give information to owners :D and that so many people do nothing to keep their investments secure. I'm a very happy :p camper right about now and hopefully they will have my Element ready by noon today sun I can be rolling.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If your dealer doesn't fix the problem, take a plastic bag or similar article and place it around the latch in the tailgate (the metal loop structure). Believe it or not this will completely solve the problem. The hatch has a bit of some play in it that causes the creaking noise. By putting a bag between the latch mechanism the play is removed.

A more long term fix is to place some felt with advesive backing on the metal latch on the tailgate. Do a search on this board you'll find some prior posts on the subject.

BTW - I would be very leary of any dealership that doesn't know specificially how to fix a problem and wants to take things apart to try to fix the problem. Often they just end up making things worst (they never seem to be able to get things back together right or tight enough).

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got back from dealership and the problem was fixed. There was some adjustments made to the rear hatch door and the spot welds were getting a lot of tension placed on them and this is what caused the noises. They took care of the problem and everything looks good and is tight and noise free. The only problem I have now is that I noticed a door ding when I picked it up. This occured on their lot so they are going to fix this. I'm starting to wonder if I should have any further dealings with Penske Honda since everytime I go there for service something happens ie...they ran my detailed car through their wash after service and it was spotted since they didn't try it off and my rear wiper blade was gone. Another time they forgot to hook up my front side marker lights and just left the wiring hanging within the engine compartment. Each time I have to get a rental (free) and transfer personal belongings from one car to another, fight traffic in the area and leave wondering whats next? Over all I'm satisfied with the Element but question the service department. I really appreciate the post on the subject matter though. It's good to hear and see people sharing info that may make it easier for the next person who comes that way.

Peace!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got you beat on dealer damage. Had my Civic in for some work on radio reception (stupid antenna is in the window). The technician backed it into a parked truck coming out of the stall - rental car for 3 weeks. Wish I knew how to insert the image.[/img]

·
Registered
56 Posts
I cannot recall a time when I have taken my car/s to a honda/acura dealer and left without some obvious damage or fault with there service work.

1.2000 Acura. While brand new:loose drivers seat= partially fixed+huge scratch on center console
2. Acura. Clunking noise in left front strut. Fixed and returned clunkier.
3. First oil change. Free with purchase of car: 1 extra bottle of oil in engine.
potentially fatal to seals in engine.
4. Second oil change given as an apology for earlier mistakes. Guess? Too much oil leading to a trip at my expense to a Mr. lube to fix it.
As of that I wrote a huge letter to management. they did not respond at all. I never went back.
5. new dealership:faulty fuel guage(colors cracking/chipping and bubbling)
Because it had happened before I asked for the part and I would put it in.
they said this was not cool. They scratched the plastic above the steering wheel, even though I warned them not to.
6. Returned to have the new(free) plastic piece installed and when I picked the car up the new piece was sliced up with marks from an exacto knife.
"your car is all ready sir" "like hell it is" I said.
I am still waiting to hear back from them about the remedy
7. Road trip last week up to Thunder Bay Ontario. 3200 kilometres in all. had to get the oil changed- 1st one. Took it to Gore Honda, :evil: :evil: They washed it without my permission and scratched the tailgate so bad my wife almost started to cry. :evil: :evil: :x :cry: :cry:

No MY FRIENDS YOU CANNOT WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
894 Posts
I intend to avoid dealers for regular maintenance as much as possible. I am off to Midas this morning for an inexpensive, high-quality oil change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts