Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

After research on this Forum, two months ago I bought a 2007 EX Kiwi Metallic w ~156K miles. Named it Pickle. Unfortunately, it's been throwing dashlights ever since. Nothing too serious (I don't think), but with a long road trip coming up, need to be safely road ready, and the latest issue has me most concerned...

Already thanks to reading this forum, I've sorted out:
1) TPMS light went on ~45 miles off the lot. Tire pressure did, and still does, measure as accurate, so I am not taking action, figured it's just a sensor issue.
2) MIL codes that resulted in a new air filter and replacing the Mass Air Flow Sensor and Air Fuel Ratio Sensor, which cleared the MIL light.

Now, the issue is the <!> (Exclamation inside Triangle) Warning Light went on as soon as the Air Fuel Ratio Sensor was installed, and I am unable to toggle it on/off using the VSA Off button. Other than TPMS, no other lights are on or flashing. The VSA Off button might have been pushed by the mechanic who installed my Air Fuel Ratio Sensor, or maybe it threw something off when he lifted it with a jack, or maybe a fuse issue (which is why I also included the history thus far)?

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Thanks for all the great help so far! I am especially enjoying reviewing all of the sleeping platform mods, from which I will devise some sort of solution for my road trip.

Thanks!
Stacy

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you are willing and if you are safe, attempt to drive your Pickle on a slippery surface (ice, dirt, wet pavement) somewhere in a safe parking lot with no obstacles and see if the light flashes when you accelerate (indicating VSA is functioning). If it does not flash, can you feel the vehicle respond to slipping wheels by bleeding off torque? If it does, the light is malfunctioning. If it does not, it may be that your VSA system is inoperative and should be checked.

I suggest everyone attempt to intentionally drive on slippery surfaces in a safe controlled environment so you can learn how the vehicle responds BEFORE you actually need to do evasive maneuvers or get into a slippery (ice) condition.
("Time to make da donuts!)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks KGAWDTSi - do you recall if it was *exactly* the same, i.e. it stayed on, you couldn't turn it on/off, and there were no other dash lights? It might be that critters have chewed at some wires here at the start of winter...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Scan the ABS system and ECM system for faults. Faults in either system will generally disable VSA and traction control on vehicles that have such features.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks KGAWDTSi - do you recall if it was *exactly* the same, i.e. it stayed on, you couldn't turn it on/off, and there were no other dash lights? It might be that critters have chewed at some wires here at the start of winter...
Initially it was intermittent as the wires kept making contact. Very shorty after the light stayed illuminated all the time. I could not turn it off and no other lights were on the dash

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I slid out today around a corner on an icy road. Later, got the tire pressure checked. All four needed air - since the weather has gotten very cold here (in Tahoe). Handled much better after that. But, the light is still on. I have an appointment at the shop in a few days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Issue resolved at local mechanic for $99. I don't totally understand this myself, but as FYI for others in the future, the paperwork states:

Scanned: 84-1 Sensor Logic Malfunction.
Used flow of diagnostics & reset sensor calibration.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Issue resolved at local mechanic for $99. I don't totally understand this myself, but as FYI for others in the future, the paperwork states:

Scanned: 84-1 Sensor Logic Malfunction.
Used flow of diagnostics & reset sensor calibration.
I wonder what that one means too. My favorite ad-lib when I was working (still remember it fondly) was:

"The component was successfully re-initialized after applying several changes in kinetic potential. No replacement needed."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It just needed a reset of the car's computer (ECU). Trying to figure out how I might do this myself if it happens again, here's what I've found (in addition to many other posts demonstrating the same):
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-...aring-replacement-do-i-need-ecu-reset-886626/

Or, I could purchase an ABS reader to do the same:
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AL619-...6e-20&linkId=85a5d47ca2297930a1682a8b7af2e626

I'm not sure if they did anything additional to calibrate it, but I don't believe so. I think that happens automatically on a reset.

I believe it was the result of the previous repair (install the air flow sensor) and should have been reset before they gave me the car back.

Much of this is assumption on my part, and I'd welcome anyone with knowledge of ECU issues to comment so it will be searchable in the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts