Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my info on exhaust/air intake is about as solid as Tiger Woods' girlfriend hiding skills.

I'm rockin an 09SC, looking for an air intake and an exhaust, but I don't want anything that's going to sound like someone is squeezing a duck.

What do you guys recommend? I'll keep reading the site for more info.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
All the information your looking for, is available on this sight.

I normally don't tell someone to search, without also providing a link for you to look at. But in this case your looking at many things. So a bit of browsing through some of the older threads, will provide you with some insight on what your looking for.

You will be able to see what The sidesteps look like on others E's. Then make a decision on what type you would like to get for yourself.

The same is true for intakes and exhausts. The photo's and descriptions of the parts on an Element will assist you with your selection.

As they say a Photo is worth a thousand words.

You can also gain some valuable knowledge, from those that have installed the part on their Element.

Take advantage of the wealth of information that's available to you.

Run a search on the things that interest you most. In the order of your interest. You may find that there are other options that you had not previously considered, that you like better.

Welcome to the EOC !!

Dom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dom, I have found a few things to go with. Just seeing what out there, ya kno~?

·
Registered
14 Posts
After examining the intake on our Element, I would only put a K&N filter in it and call it a day. It looks like a very good flowing system to me.

With my K24 Accord the hands down best mod was a header. Don't know if it's the same for the E.

·
Registered
575 Posts
+1 for the Injen. Love my intake and exhaust. There are several threads on it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I wouldn't even put a K&N filter on it. Why introduce oil into your air intake path, possibly gumming up your MAF sensor, possible resulting in rough idle, and giving Honda an excuse to deny warranty coverage in case you burn a piston or have some other engine damage. If you are concerned about enough air flow, just replace the stock paper filter evey 10,000-15,000 miles. 900 HP NASCAR racers run paper filters, and so do I. I think the day of using oiled gauze filters in our sensitive air intake systems is long gone. Although....most serious problems come from reoils, not the original filter. If you are going to use one, at least wrap paper towels around it for a few days before use to soak up any excess oil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been using a K&N for over 100k miles with no issues. Doing the same on the '96 in the form of a cone filter. I've heard about ppl oiling them too much, but it's not that hard to get it right. My Accord doesn't have a MAF so maybe it's easier for me. Haven't tried it on the E yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have heard about some guys with MAF sensors having issues. It might be better for them to avoid if it's really that touchy. A little oil in the intake is not detrimental to the engine, since your crankcase ventilates oil into it, however it introduces oil downstream of the MAF. So don't load up the filter with too much oil.

Of course, for better flow someone could always use more square inches of filter area.

I use my Accord for comparison since it and the newer K24s are similiar. I used a K&N drop-in replacement with a short piece of pipe attached to the airbox with a "horn" on the the opening. This involved deleting the intake resonator. Way better than a short ram intake and if you want to use the stock filter then it would cost you less than $20. It has a low-key grumble, not too intrusive and perfectly quiet at cruising.

My Element seems to have a bit larger intake pipe on the front end than a stock Accord, and measuring the two filters side by side, the E has about 6 more sq. inches than mine. Maybe I should adapt an E airbox to my Accord, lol.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Used K&N and other oil filters on several cars, trucks and motorcycles with MAF's with no issues. You have to be smart and not over oil the filters but come on it's not rocket science:roll: To each there own and you have to do what you're comfortable with.

My only regret with the Injen CAI and Cat back exhaust is not doing it sooner:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts