Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hello,
My E has been loud for a while. Today I took it to midas, where they said I needed a front donut gasket and spring bolts, only available from the dealer. I went to the dealer to find they wanted 36 bucks for the gasket, 10 bucks for each bolt, and 15 bucks for each spring. Before I surrender I thought I would look around on line. The problem I am having is the nomenclature. Majestic has the parts here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...&catcgry5=EXHAUST PIPE - MUFFLER&vinsrch=null

But I am not sure if they are the correct ones. I assume the dealer was correct when he told me I needed four bolts and springs, but do I need 4 nuts as well?
I also looked at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...t_name:Other+Exhaust+Components+&+Accessories)

But I am not sure which bolts are correct. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
#6 in illustration: "gasket, ex. flexible," Honda p/n 18229-S6M-003, $26.45 retail / $19.18 online
#7: "gasket, ex. flexible (50.8mm-64mm)," p/n 18229-S7S-003, $22.82 / $16.54
#8: "spring, flexible joint," p/n 18230-SV4-000, $5.48 / $3.98
#9: "bolt b, flexible joint," p/n 18231-SR3-A22, $10.15 / $7.36
I don't see a listing for nuts.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
many thanks, O helpful one. Parts ordered from Majestic

·
Registered
16 Posts
You only need to replace the front doughnut and the 2 bolts. Springs won't deteriorate, don't waste the money, Rear doughnut rarely, if ever dies, do not replace, don't waste your money. Jack the car up, remove the 2 bolts pull back on exhaust, remove old doughnut, put new one on with bevel facing the pavement, push exhaust back on, bolt into place, drive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I'm hearing some noise up front and this looks like it might the the culprit.

Is there a way to visually verify if this is the problem? I don't have a lift but I can crawl under there and take a look.

Also, is this as easy as it sounds to address? Should I expect the bolts to come out (maybe with a little liquid wrench) or should I be prepared to drill/saw/etc. to get the old ones out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I didn't replace mine personally, but I was watching while the guys at my shop did the replacement when the car was up on the lift (they're cool about that). They heated the two bolts with a torch, and used a ratchet with an extension to unbolt. It did seem that the exhaust pipe needed some persuasion to move away sufficiently (or maybe it was just too hot to touch). This was last year, on my '03 with 59k at time of replacement. I'm guessing it became noticeable around 55K, and we were able to see exhaust leaking out around that exhaust joint while diagnosing the problem. The old gasket was visibly worn in my case (lost around half of the mass?)

I would advise getting the replacement bolts. I got new springs too just in case because they aren't that expensive, and it would suck if it turned out we needed them (we installed them anyway).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Bumping this, because I have an exhaust leak developing in the same area- my problem though is that the pipe ahead of the converter has actually developed a leak. Looking around, I'm having trouble finding it available separate from the converter :( Anyone have a lead?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looking around, I'm having trouble finding it available separate from the converter :( Anyone have a lead?
Had the same problem last year, found out that "A" pipe is not available as a separate part per Honda. I had mine replaced last year, shop bent a new pipe and welded a matching flange for cheap. Salvage was also an option.

·
Registered
171 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts