Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a custom catback exhaust that hause larger piping than stock, uses the stock resonator, and and has a generic muffler with a nice chrome tip. It has a lower exhaust tone, but I still easily hear my intake over my exhaust. What would I benefit more from...keeping the resonator and swapping out the muffler for, just as an example, a flow master 40 series or keeping my current muffler and cutting out the resonator?

Your insights and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions on deep rumble mufflers that don't have highway drone would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. GO LAKERS! AWESOME WIN TONIGHT!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I recently acquired a custom catback exhaust that hause larger piping than stock, uses the stock resonator, and and has a generic muffler with a nice chrome tip. It has a lower exhaust tone, but I still easily hear my intake over my exhaust. What would I benefit more from...keeping the resonator and swapping out the muffler for, just as an example, a flow master 40 series or keeping my current muffler and cutting out the resonator?

Your insights and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions on deep rumble mufflers that don't have highway drone would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. GO LAKERS! AWESOME WIN TONIGHT!
glad to see you got in on try cutting out the resonator i had that running for a week and my mom told me to get it fixed or i couldnt drive the car. friend said it sounded like a WRX going down the freeway.

you are always going to hear your intake. i have a injen intake and exhaust and i can still hear my intake pretty well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't get rid of the resonator it will be too loud. Try running a smaller muffler like a flow 40. I had a magnaflow catback on my ep3 and loved the tone and sound, so you could get a magnflow muffler too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha so I have a 1 yay for cutting out the resonator and 1 nay. Any other takers on what I should do?

BTW thanks Gboybst578 for the trade and mt exhaust!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump bump bump

·
Registered
83 Posts
Duals

I just this week bit the bullet and had my muffler cut off and dual pipes with rectangular tips put on. It sounds good at idle(kind of a low quiet burble) , my girlfriend says its a bit loud when I get on it. I can live with it, at least for a while. I don't see any performance gains really and MPG hasn't changed as far as I can see. I 'll try to post some pics.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I am getting the resonator removed thursday and having a straight pipe put in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Update?
No experience with an Element here, but I really could not notice much of a change to the sound when I’ve removed the resonator from my turbo cars.
I removed the resonator from my current NA car. It was way too loud for my taste when the RPM exceeded 2500.
The drone above 2500 was dreadful too.

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
i dropped loads of money tweaking my exhaust to my liking...and in the end..opted to start where i began "/

had an hks hi flow muffler..that ish was way too loud..specially since the silencer fell out somewhere...

opted to go with a long 20+ inch resonator and an 18inch muffler with a tip to ur liking...

ur spose to hear ur intake..seriously after driving a couple months with a loud deep exhaust..i began dreading stepping on the acceleration pedal..

make sure u dont lose backend power however u call it..it took me a whiles before this set up to get up to speed when i hit the gas..ewwww

1 - 11 of 11 Posts