Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on installing a new muffler and exhaust. I would like to go 2" - 2.5" from the catalytic converter to the new muffler, then to the tip. Not sure about removing the exhaust resonator. I'm not looking for anything loud, just trying to improve the flow and hopefully pick up a few extra horses. I'm planning on taking several road trips and don't want to hear the drone of a loud exhaust. I'm thinking about a Magnaflow muffler. Should I remove the resonator? Will this cause an unbearable drone? Any suggestions on muffler type, etc will be appreciated.

Brado

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just installed a Borla Pro XS muffler and tip with 2.5" pipe from the catalytic converter back. We did remove the resonator. In all honesty, the interior noise level is somewhat increased. With the stock exhaust and the windows closed, you can barely hear if the E is running. With the modified exhaust, under acceleration, there is a moderate amount of performance exhaust noise inside the cabin. I'm in my car a lot everyday and sometimes do a 300 mile day for work. The noise does increase somewhat inside the cabin but not loud enough to effect conversation or music. A small performance resonator may decrease the sound ( we were contemplating adding a little resonator if sound or performance was negatively effected. Ultimately, we still havent added the resonator. Each day the exhaust breaks in a little more, it sounds and performs sweeter and sweeter. Next is the K&N air filter and possibly cold air induction. I'm definately going to leave the motor alone and focus on the breathing and weight savings (possibly a performance chip once the warranty expires) You will also shave over 50lbs from the curb weight by modifying your exhaust (the Borla muffler weighs about 5 lbs and is very light)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had my exhaust guy cut out the stock muffler and weld straight pipe in its place. Left the resonator in its place. When I pulled into the muffler shop after a 10 minute drive, and got the E on the lift, the right side of the muffler was glowing red, along with about 4" of the pipe going towards the resonator. That's way too restrictive for any vehicle.

Noise level is increased, I can actually hear my E now! At 70MPH in OD, it's barely noticeable that I've done anything. At idle it's noticeable, and at full acceleration it's definitely noticeable. Just driving around, accelerating "normally", it sounds like I think a 4 cylinder should sound like.

I'm going to leave it like this. I wasn't looking for noise, I was looking to increase the performance of the iVTEC. Plus, it still looks completely stock.

Cost = $22.00

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's possible, although unlikely.

I'm making prototype cat-back exhaust systems right now... I will give you a price cut if you wish to prototype one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts