Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i really hate the way the pipe sticks out on the back of my E, so much that i would rather cut it off to the first clamp and put a small angled tip down so that u dont see it at all would this pass inspection??:confused:and if so how far back could i go cuting it:cool:

·
Registered
89 Posts
That would depend on the laws of your State...I cut my system off and had a side exiting exhaust on my TDi Golf, NYS law stated that the system had to exit behind the driver, I had it exiting in front of the driverside rear wheel, it was legal.

Dan has a point as well, you have to take where the exhaust goes into consideration. Don't want an interior full of deadly fumes!

·
Registered
348 Posts
You would risk breathing carbon monoxide because you don't like the way something looks?
Yea, you should not be worried about something stupid like a tailpipe. I NEVER give mine a second thought....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got rear ended in my E. When the car hit me, it bent my exhaust pipe/tip so that it was rubbing against something and making quite a bit of noise. I tried to break the exhaust bolts loose and had no luck...said screw it and cut the exhaust bolts off.

Anyways, long story short, my exhaust ends somewhere near the rear wheel. My wife was concerned about me breathing in CO fumes, so we tossed in one of those CO detectors....you know, the ones you put in your house? It's been sitting in my passenger side door for a few weeks now and have not heard the CO detector beep yet.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx for some of the help, and im not talking abt cutting it right after the headers or cat. im just talking abt to the first bushing thats holding it up from back to front, meaning if u were to duck under and look at the rear tailpipe id cut halfway to connecter ,the bushing would still be connected u just wont see the tip sticking out and i would put a downturning tip so the its not going to be blowing exhaust in at all get me.

·
Registered
873 Posts
the acids would start rusting out your E & the carbon will make it a nasty mess in a few months.I would not recomend it.try a shiny tip or something

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
the acids would start rusting out your E & the carbon will make it a nasty mess in a few months.I would not recomend it.try a shiny tip or something
Agreed about the tip, a nice clamp on 3" tip in stainless can be had for $20 on ebay.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to say I its been 2 yrs since I cut off the tail pipe to the back wheel so you don't see and type of exhaust pipe at all and no fumes in the car or acid damage I think it looks way cleaner then that little hamster nub hanging back there

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Just wanted to say I its been 2 yrs since I cut off the tail pipe to the back wheel so you don't see and type of exhaust pipe at all and no fumes in the car or acid damage I think it looks way cleaner then that little hamster nub hanging back there
That is really good to hear!!!

Thanks for the report, BBX. So, no pictures?
Yeah, where are the pictures??????

·
Registered
517 Posts
Take a hack saw and cut off 3-4 inches off the end of the exhaust tip then spray paint it black. You will no longer see it. Problem solved fast and easy.;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts