Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The last month or so, I've had an exhaust smell inside my car, especially when I have the defroster on (winter up here in Chicago). It goes away when I turn press the button that recirculates the air inside the car (not allowing outside air to come in). Any ideas what this may be? Hope it's not something expensive...I do have an extended warranty, but this may be normal wear and tear. I've got a 2005 EX AWD with 45,000 miles.

Thanks,
Brendan

·
Registered
543 Posts
Brendan, just a few weeks ago I dealt with a mx problem that may relate. I could hear an exhaust leak, and as a couple of weeks went by, I could distinctly smell exhaust fumes, particularly under acceleration.

Problem: remember the engine is a transverse mount. A) Under accelerative load, torgue tends to rotate the top of the engine toward the rear. Over time, particularly if it gets "goosed" sometimes, this cycling stretches out the front motor mount. B) At the rear of the engine, the first exhaust joint (where the manifold joins to the exhaust pipe) is designed to be somewhat flexible, to accomodate this engine torque. The joint comprises an internal steel and fiber gasket, with the external flanges held together by a pair of spring bolts.

When the forward motor mount allows excessive torque rotation, this tanslates to excessive flex in the rear exhaust joint, ultimately wearing and destroying the gasket.

Have your mech check both the motor mount and the exhaust joint. Good Luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
you have an exhaust leak... really bad haha

if its a bolt on... bolts might be stripped not sealing or seal went bad.... if its a weld... you have a bad weld on the pipe joint....needs to be fixed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts