Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my CAT converter changed...and although I went with an aftermarket part, I did get an exact fit. I had a muffler place install it. About the same time I had another shop change my oil.

Shortly after I noticed what smells to be exhaust smells when I cut on my heater. Not all the time, but always when sitting still.

I called the parts place..and they told me CATS need about 300 miles for the burn-in...I was probably smelling the new cat.

I drove it 500+ miles and could still smell it. I took it back to the muffler shop and they made sure that there was no exhaust leak. There are no check engine lights, etc. on.

So what do you think?
Oil drain plug leak going back on the cat? Maybe they didn't replace it...
Loose hose?
Bad PVC?
Overwhelmed cabin filter?

·
Registered
246 Posts
If it was oil residue on the exhaust, it would have burned off sooner than 500 miles of driving. If there is an oil leak getting on the exhaust, don't play games - get it looked at and corrected ASAP.

I just had an 06 E with an after-market oil filter leak last week (the installer had used a pair of channel-lock pliers to tighten the oil filter - obviously worried it might fall off :roll:). The moron owner drove the vehicle in smoking heavily, with oil coating the entire under-body and right side of the vehicle. The engine did not have 2 cups of oil left in it.

Don't be that guy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts