Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The end of my exhaust pipe got deformed when I backed into a rock. I was able to stretch it back into shape, but it looks a little ragged.

Since the 6 year old exhaust pipe shows no signs of corrosion, I was thinking of installing an exhaust trim piece, AKA exhaust tip AKA exhaust finisher.

In looking at some Honda parts sites I see the exhaust trim variously described as chrome finish and polished stainless. I've had bad luck with "chromed" parts corroding, and am reluctant to put a dissimilar metal part on the stainless exhaust pipe .

Can someone verify whether the OEM finisher now being sold is stainless or chromed?

Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
Honestly... on my old 2003 Element, I bought a chromed out exhaust finisher aftermarket.... and I never had any problems with corrosion. It looked sharp. I had it on there for two years.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly... on my old 2003 Element, I bought a chromed out exhaust finisher aftermarket.... and I never had any problems with corrosion. It looked sharp. I had it on there for two years.
Good for you, but your experience isn't with the item with which I'm interested; your response didn't answer my question. :-(

We drive on crappy NE Illinois roads. In winter they are heavily salted, and the exhaust goes through daily freeze/thaw cycles that accelerate rusting. (I've had to clean the under body bolts and hardware and apply a Ziebart-type material twice in the last 4 years to keep ahead of rust.)

I plan to keep my Element a l-o-n-g time. Each of my previous vehicles was retired due to rust (though it took up to 10 years), so materials that are inherently rust resistant are my preference. I were to buy aftermarket, given a choice, I'll always buy stainless; for me less glitter is trumped by longer shine.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yeah... I understand about the salt and snow issue. I lived in Omaha, NE for two years... I understand that issue.

Sorry I misunderstood your question. Was just saying that if you wanted to go with an aftermarket instead of an OEM, you could without fear of corrosion.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
After looking at one on a neighbor's Honda, and checking the quality of the "stainless steel" with a magnet, I decided to get a different one from EBay. I think the 2-3/4 x 3 squared oval shape better suits the shape of the Element. It's polished stainless steel, double wall in the polished area, and was $15 incl s/h.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Rage much...Jesus.
The answers I got didn't resolve the conflicting information I had from dealer sites, so I don't know why you or Jesus should be upset, or at whom.

I already knew that HandAs site says stainless. When I then went to Honda's own website, I found that they now call it a Chrome Exhaust Finisher. "The chrome finish is eye-catching, and engineered for durability under high heat conditions."

I figured that Honda should know the difference between mirror finish stainless steel and chrome finish, but since Honda provides a one year warranty on that kind of accessory, I thought I take a chance. So I planned to get the OEM chrome finisher, and started saving up for it.

Before I could buy it, I was able to magnet test one on a new Element. If it is stainless, it's a low nickle grade with the same magnetic properties as carbon steel. The material and construction was no better than the aftermarket stainless steel Pilot tip on the four year old Accord sitting next to it, so I looked at the EBay listings and decided on the basis of material and aesthetics.

That it cost half as much was an unexpected benefit.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
After looking at one on a neighbor's Honda, and checking the quality of the "stainless steel" with a magnet, I decided to get a different one from EBay. I think the 2-3/4 x 3 squared oval shape better suits the shape of the Element. It's polished stainless steel, double wall in the polished area, and was $15 incl s/h.
Nice look... Link...?

LBD

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice look... Link...? LBD
The original item link will have expired.

Search EBay using "2.25" OVAL STAINLESS EXHAUST TIP +BOLT-ON" check "include title and description" for similar items, then sort for Price+Shipping, lowest first.

The unit I chose has 3 mounting bolts to permit centering the tip and securing it squarely. I'll try to remember to post a photo of it installed.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The original item link will have expired.

Search EBay using "2.25" OVAL STAINLESS EXHAUST TIP +BOLT-ON" check "include title and description" for similar items, then sort for Price+Shipping, lowest first.

The unit I chose has 3 mounting bolts to permit centering the tip and securing it squarely. I'll try to remember to post a photo of it installed.
8) Cool...! 8)

Thanks...!

LBD

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Go down to your local autozone, napa, checker or whatever you have and check out their selection of exhaust pipe finishers. No need to deal with ebay and shipping. You can probably find one you like for less than $10.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go down to your local autozone, napa, checker or whatever you have and check out their selection of exhaust pipe finishers. No need to deal with ebay and shipping. You can probably find one you like for less than $10.
The ones under $10 I've seen at these places either were either chromed steel or didn't have a rolled edge. They all looked cheap compared to Honda's finisher, which I decided to forgo after it failed my magnetic test for stainless steel. The one I got through EBay was $15 including shipping and tax, arrived in 3 days and looks great.

"Dealing with EBay" on Buy It Now items is no more difficult than ordering a part from any auto parts site - as long as you know what to order.

·
Registered
180 Posts
That Pilot trim looks nice 8)

The OEM exhaust trim is very high quality. I just polished mine because it had a very tough shell of carbon all around the end and it "looked" like the chrome was damaged. but after about 30 min with Mothers chrome polish and a polishing pad on a drill it looks brand new:)

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
. . . The unit I chose has 3 mounting bolts to permit centering the tip and securing it squarely. I'll try to remember to post a photo of it installed.
Sorry, I forgot.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts