Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to have to get new exhaust soon(fiance jumped a curb and smushed my poor resonator) and I was wondering how simple it would be to install the Gibson catback assembly. I know a lot of people have done it, so I'm asking whether it's worth the hassle of explaining to my fiance that it is worth it. She is leery about me spending money to mod the car, and I want to have the esteemed opinions of the other Element lovers to show to her that this is really not going to turn the E into a gas-guzzling, rubber-eating monster. And she doesn't really believe me when i say that it would give us better gas mileage, which is big considering that the mpg is kinda sucky. any help you guys could throw my way would be fantastic!!! oh and neither of us can stand the wet-fart sound that comes from not having enough back pressure. I want my E to growl, not sputter or buzz.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I don't have the gibson exhaust, but I do have a custom catback exhaust. Mine is a bolt on withe the resonator removed and a generic version of the flowmaster 40 muffler. It has a deep hollow tone and is much louder upon first starting up the E until it builds up compression/warms up. At freeway speeds that is a little bit of a drone, but nothing my stereo can't overcome. I actually have seen an increase in my gas mileage...about 20 more miles per tank or so (nothing crazy), but I also have a K&N air intake as well.

If the gibson is a bolt on then it is very easy to install. You could even do it by yourself. I had a buddy help me install mine in about 15 minutes (this included removing the old exhaust).

Try looking for audio clips on the gibson site to get an idea of how loud it is and what it sounds like. If the fiance doesn't like the sound...add a resonator to quite the exhaust...and her haha jk.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
The Injen is a direct bolt on. Took me 30 and a friend like 30 minutes
to take off the old one and put in the new one. And that was going
slow.

The Gibson uses clamps. It seems to be a little harder to do, but
is definitely a DIY job. The cheaper Gibson is NOT stainless steel,
so it will rot out over time. The higher end Gibson as well as the
Injen are stainless, so they will last forever, as long as your GF
doesnt make it a habit to run over curbs!!!!

Good luck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Injen Catback

The Injen is a direct bolt on. Took me 30 and a friend like 30 minutes
to take off the old one and put in the new one. And that was going
slow.

The Gibson uses clamps. It seems to be a little harder to do, but
is definitely a DIY job. The cheaper Gibson is NOT stainless steel,
so it will rot out over time. The higher end Gibson as well as the
Injen are stainless, so they will last forever, as long as your GF
doesnt make it a habit to run over curbs!!!!

Good luck.
I had a muffler shop put my Injen exhaust on and it took all of 30 minutes and cost me less than $40. Had I known it was as easy as it was, I would have installed it myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so i went ahead and went down to the local exhaust shop, and hand 60 series flowmaster put on. cut the resonator out, didn't like it, put it back on. left original pipe b/c I might have to leave the state and don't need cops on me about my exhaust. $134.00 later, i have this. and I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is about More than the Exhaust. Do you Really want to defer to or Work around this woman, getting permission for something that she messed up to begin with? For Years, if not Forever?

To stay on topic, I am seriously considering the Injen Catback.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So how does the flowmaster sound like? I'm looking around youtube and the flowmaster seems to have the lower growling sound, which I'm looking for.

·
Registered
207 Posts
ok so i went ahead and went down to the local exhaust shop, and hand 60 series flowmaster put on. cut the resonator out, didn't like it, put it back on. left original pipe b/c I might have to leave the state and don't need cops on me about my exhaust. $134.00 later, i have this. and I like it.
Can you provide us with a video or a sound clip?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Gibson does make a stainless version, but neither of them work with the awd e's. If you go with gibson it installs easily and sounds great. Make sure you buy band clamps for the joints do not even bother trying to make the u clamps they provide work. I have received many complements on the tone and quietness of this exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts