Honda Element Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I had a friend that ownes a muffler shop down in San Juan Capistrano install a 2 1/2 setup with a Magniflow resonator that was about 24" long and a Magniflow straight through muffler about the same length with a 2 1/4" pipe after that and I was amaized on how it sounded. It raised the Dbs only about 5 and gave it a deeper note. Doesn't bug the neighbors when I leave at 5 AM. The performance went up a little by the butt dyno and my milage went up about 2 MPG going to work and back witch is a steep hill but my hi way milage seems to have stayed the same.

·
Registered
142 Posts
how much

just wondering after your 4th trip to the shop, what was your final cost for your new exhaust system..i too just put on a k and N intake, and i need to get the air out, im sucking it in, but dont think i am gettting it out as fast...i just got a new SC so im putting it on there...

jsut wondering i guess on your final cost...thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm interested in getting that exhaust...

I think you're the only one who's done the Injen Catback exhaust so far...
How is it now?

I've been wanting it... where and how much did you get it for?

Is yours the 2 1/4 inch piping or 3inch piping?

bobhch/hchbob said:
I have an Injen cat-back system on my EX 4wd. Had to have a small piece welded in and it works fine. I will go and link my post here. Be right back. Edit here it is! http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=322168&postcount=31

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
E-tronika said:
Is yours the 2 1/4 inch piping or 3inch piping?
I beleive the Injen is around 2 1/4 inch piping. 3-inch piping is way too much for a 4cyl. motor, unless you have a Turbo. My sisters WRX has 3-inch piping, but it also is highly modded and makes almost 400 HP. IF you put 3-inch on any element, it may sound good, but you will be slower off the line than a geo metro.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Injen Cat-back system

I keep looking at the photos of the pieces for the Injen Cat-Back Exhaust System for 04-05 Honda Element and keep scratching my head as to why the parts don't match-up.............does someone have answer. The two exhaust tips look mismatched, and where is the y-pipe?

·
Registered
7 Posts
do you have a recording or a vid so we can all hear? :-D

i dont have an element yet :-(, but hopefully soon.

I'd want mine to sound like a huge lifted ford rumblebee or something like that...i dont like the fart can on a civic sound.

i'd want a reall off-roady type ROAR! that would be sweet, and maybe even dual it.

I'm new BTW :-D

-damian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gibson Baby

First off, all you guys are great. I'm in the automotive accessories catalog business, www.calcarcover.com, and I am lucky enough to have access to quite a few things.

I just received a gibson cat back (aluminized) for my 2007 SC M/T and in the course of 33 minutes (have a vehicle lift here at work) I had that baby on. Easy as it can be. I will post pics soon. Sound is great, no problem at 65-70.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Exhaust N'

Hey, What's Up! I love the exhaust I had custom bent. I based it on this initial thread. Matt at Quality Muffler is the Man.

Matt mandrel bent the piping using a HighFlo (?Magnaflow) Tubular Resonator and the largest Magnaflow he had. He is a Magnaflow/Flowmaster dealer.

Note: I beleive he flips the resonator around to actively cancel the ExtraLoud sound waves. I am soo happy! I think it was around $350. Hear it for yourself, and see if it's for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl2vSpGr_nA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtBvWSv5pJo

YOU MUST USE HEADPHONES TO REALLY HEAR THIS!!!!:lol: I love it!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Hey, What's Up! I love the exhaust I had custom bent. I based it on this initial thread. Matt at Quality Muffler is the Man.

Matt mandrel bent the piping using a HighFlo (?Magnaflow) Tubular Resonator and the largest Magnaflow he had. He is a Magnaflow/Flowmaster dealer.

Note: I beleive he flips the resonator around to actively cancel the ExtraLoud sound waves. I am soo happy! I think it was around $350. Hear it for yourself, and see if it's for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl2vSpGr_nA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtBvWSv5pJo

YOU MUST USE HEADPHONES TO REALLY HEAR THIS!!!!:lol: I love it!
I watched your video's awhile back and that setup does sound good,actually from the exterior it sounds very similar to my E,which has no muffler and the factory resonator.Although mine is a tad bit louder.:cool:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sound

It's quieter at lower rpm in higher gears. It has a nice acceleration sound. It's not annoying or too loud. No Drones!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Just did mine... 2 1/4" cat back with a single big turbo muffler(unknown brand) that I got from the shop that did the setup(mieneke) and bought a tip from auto zone. Its a 3 inch slanted/ rolled round tip with a slight bit of resonating material in it. Very nice sound, but may just order the biggest turbo magnaflow muffler I can get, but its too early to tell. Drone is slight, but not very apparent at highway speeds, nice deep sound too...:D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, I just got back from a local muffler shop and will be having my custom cat-back installed. I think I'm going with a SS Magnaflow muffler, 2.25 inch pipe and a SS camaro tip. I will post pics and let yall know how it turns out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ehaust

You may want to run a high flow Resonator as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
while browsing through the Magnaflow website i did a dealer search and found one nearby. gave them a call and after a brief exchange off i went.
went with a cat back setup and a stainless Magnaflow part #11235,
finished it off with a nice slash cut tip tucked under the bumper.
210 dollars out the door.

one potential problem that i can see is the catalytic converter appears to be slightly 'drooping' in the back and it need to be raised up about 1 inch.

it wouldn't be a problem but the E has about a 3 inch drop which makes a noticable difference in ground clearance.

all in all i'm pleased- the exhaust note is barely noticeable at hiway speeds
and has a nice mellow note off idle and through the gears (AT).

i doubt i would have done any better had i bought a $500.00 "system".

·
Registered
93 Posts
So the big question....

The big question I have is.....will adding a cat-back system or just an after-market muffler (looking at a Flowmaster-60) really add a few mpg's?

I have a K&N CAI now and have seen little (if any) fuel consumption improvements. I'd like to find a way to pick up a few gallons of economy while maybe adding a little 'throaty' (not obnoxious) sound. Also.....I don't want to break the bank (welcome to 2009).

So here are my questions:
  • Anyone add an aftermarket muffler and see a mpg increase? If so how much?
  • What did you use (brand, model, etc.)?
  • What did your setup cost?
  • Did you see any electronics issues (e.g. check engine light, etc)?
There is lots of great data in this thread but I am just looking to sum it up some how and maybe pull the trigger on something. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I got a catback exhaust, running the oem cat and resonator, borla muffler, 2 1/4 pipe, and I have seen an increase in performance on the mid to higher range on the butt dyno. Had this system for a long time and no MPG increase prob because heavier on the go pedal. I aint one to drive according to mpg. Maybe I will try and I will see. Anyways my exhaust is very quiet and unassuming until it's "hammered" then it emits a loud throaty tone (some what of a sleeper) I did notice a decrease in low end power (but change of powerband is expected with any mod) and most times with performance mods the gain is higher up in the powerband. Gain some here lose some there.
The flowmaster 60 (delta series?) supposed to be a pretty mellow sounding muffler. I think as long as you keep the resonator and cat it should be throaty WOT and almost stock otherwise. Goodluck and keep us posted how it turns out...cool

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gibson 4wd conversion

I just installed a gibson cat back 2 1/4 exhuast system!

Here is the tricky part, they don't make a cat back for 4wd, No problem, all that I had to do was to fab a different tail pipe to get around the right rear drive axle, still used all the factory mounts, tricky but worth the time! This site inspires my to dig deeper for horse power!

08 Tangerine EX 4WD AT, Cat back, Cold Air, and some bitchen decals, Will post pics later!

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Dual Exhaust Completion with Gibson Catback

I just installed a gibson cat back 2 1/4 exhuast system!

Here is the tricky part, they don't make a cat back for 4wd, No problem, all that I had to do was to fab a different tail pipe to get around the right rear drive axle, still used all the factory mounts, tricky but worth the time! This site inspires my to dig deeper for horse power!
LEMON Cruiser is so right on this. I bought the Gibson Catback and was told it would fit a 4WD and it does except for going over the rear axle. Fortunately my guys up at Sam's Automotive in Carmel, IN have everything it takes to fabricate since they build race cars. Hubie Sams took on the work for me last November and I was really pleased with his work. It was he who suggested I go dual exhaust and order another Gibson tailpipe finisher which I did and had it 2 days later. Well be finally got around to completing the dual work on this past Thursday and I'm really impressed with the sound and the look. This mod just enhanced the InJen CAI as far as I'm concerned.
We have equal flow coming from both sides. The install looks professional and I can scratch off another item on my "To Do" list. Think I have around two more items to complete before I call it lovely! Also if I could have video files I would so you could hear how it sounds but that ain't happening. Also thank Dom.Five for suggesting I post these pics. He had the chance to see and hear the video I sent him but he'll be here in Indy in two weeks for the race and the annual inspection of the Precious.

Peace!

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ok so in a previous post of mine i said i was putting a custom magnaflow catback. I did. It was a Stainless steel magnaflow turbo muffler with a stainless 8 inch camaro tip, 2 1/4 in pipe from the cat back. I liked it but it had quite a drone to it. i guess i should have left the resonator on. however just recently i had a towing package installed and had to remove the tip of the exhaust so i just put on a turndown right after the muffler. i love it. it is a little louder when accelerating, but when you hit interstate speeds that annoying drone is way quieter than with the tip out the back. its a real mellow tone to it. i think it was a wise choice. and it gives a real clean look, with no pipe sticking out the back.

61 - 80 of 114 Posts