Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any difficulty removing the expansion clips from the Element. I was looking at element-j's wonderful website and he said he broke every expansion clip he tried to remove. I was wondering if anyone else encountered this same problem. I called a local dealership and they want $2.25 per expansion clip!!! Kind of steep for a plastic clip so I want to make sure before I go and buy a bunch of replacements before I start trying to install my new fog lights.

·
Registered
118 Posts
clip. I made a tool from a pair of tweezers. Works great and there are probably other ways to do it as well. I bet Snap-on or other tool companies have tools used by professionals. :wink:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Updated this topic on my site last night. A kind soul pointed out that you PUSH IN the center of the clips and they release. (Previous cars I've owned, you pry out the center to release expansion clips.) Works like a charm.

The Honda parts guy telling me that your had to destroy them to remove them is another story...

e-j

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here's another tool that can be used to remove those clips. Use and IC extraction/insertion tool. They are an U-shaped tweezer made from spring steel. They already have the tips bent inward to grab the pins. They are part of an IC tool kit that can be found at Radio Shack part number 276-1581 and costs $7.99. you can also get one from www.tecratools.com part number 41109 and costs $3.50. A last source is www.superdroidrobots.com part number T-008-000 and costs $1.75. Here's an even more helpful hint. Before re-installing the clips, remove the pins and put a dab of grease on the tip. This makes them much easier to install and like me if you make a mistake it makes it a lot easier to remove them!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Before re-installing the clips, remove the pins and put a dab of grease on the tip. This makes them much easier to install and like me if you make a mistake it makes it a lot easier to remove them!!
That's a great idea! It would make for a far easier r&r next time.

BTW, do I get a prize for reviving the oldest thread? :D

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
That's a great idea! It would make for a far easier r&r next time.

BTW, do I get a prize for reviving the oldest thread? :D
:lol::lol::lol:........

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts