• No

Votes: 79 52.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 592 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be more a Honda question, but has anybody gotten extended warranty prices from Dealer? Any idea what their actual cost is for five year, six year?
Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I price two.

7 years/100,000 miles was $1,500
7 Years/70,000 miles was $1,100

I did not get any because I never had problems with a Honda that gets regular maintenance which I do diligently.

One note I never heard of before. These all came with locking in the hourly labor rate for any work done that is not covered (IE maintenance). So in 2006 you are paying 2003 hourly labor. Not bad.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have only had one car that needed major work after the warranty was up, and that was on my Isuzu Trooper II. It needed a valve job at about 55,000 miles.

That happend to be the only vehicle that I got the extended service contract on. :D

Somehow I had a feeling I was going to need it. The truck lasted 15 years all and all, so I got my money's worth

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I guess I just worry about something so new even though Honda has a great rep. I don't mind paying, but I hate paying too much.
(Okay, I lied, I do mind paying!)

·
Registered
608 Posts
If it helps, Honda has always been super about not coming out with a car till they could do it right. The passport was built by Isuzu because Honda needed something to enter into the SUV market. Once they could do their own, they stopped selling the passport.

Also Honda has been great with issues on their cars and trucks. If there was something that was an issue, they have in the past extended the warranty.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I did not bother with an extended warranty and you can always get it later too, if you change your mind.. but to me it is unneccessary.. i had a prelude for over 10years my integra is over 7 years old... and the only things needed on them were eventually a tire change, brakes, oil changes, wipers.. and the occassional need for gas..

really fantastic vehicles, extended warranty, you have 3 years for the most part you can reconsider in a year or two if you feel it is necessary, i don't recommend the investment!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sideshow Bob - Sorry I do not recall a deductible but that does not mean there was not one.

Like GYPSYTDA I passed on the extended because I have had such great long term experience with Honda. My 93 Civic Si has 160,000 and has not required any repairs, just normal maintenance. I sold it to a friend about one year ago and it is still purring along.

I can't say that with the Ford, GM and Chrysler cars I and my family have owned, but in their defense only my brother still buys Chrysler so perhaps the problems I have seen are of past designs. I follow Consumer Reports to see how car manufactures records stack up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi,

Just got a new Element today (Manual, DX --- bare Element).

The Element is still at the dealership, it needed inspection and AC. We are working on the financing.

Our credit union is offering us 4.99% The dealer offered 3.49% but then told us we -had- to get the 100K mile warranty.

So with the dealer we end up at $387 month. With the credit union, we are at $347 month (5 year loan).

The dealer's warranty is set up so that if you do not use the warranty, you get $2,200 back at the end of either 5 years or 100k miles. If you use it, you forfeit the warranty cash back. The savings between $387-$347=$40x60months = $2400.

Anyways. I was wondering if anybody is under a 100k warranty or has any advice.

Thanks
Keith

PS: I would be in heaven if the Element had a hybrid engine. In the end I settled on its utility advantages over the gas and environmental savings I could have gotten from a hybrid.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Kavetter,

Well, I can't tell you what to do, but I can throw out a few thoughts.

On the plus side for the Honda, they make great cars. I don't know anyone who has taken the extended warranty with any Honda they have ever bought. That would cover hondas going back to the late 70's early 80's.

Honda does not usually come out with a car till they have worked out all the bugs and made sure it is up to Honda's standards.

Honda in the past has also been real good in dealing with problems. They have on their own extended warranties on models with potential across the board issues.

On the down side, I once got the extended warranty, and on that car I needed it. It was not a Honda.

This is the 1st year that Honda has made the Element. That means that if they have a design flaw, this is the model year that they will find it.

The Element comes with 3 year 36,000 bumper to bumper coverage. Chances are if something is going to go wrong it will be during that time. However, if it is something major, it may cost you more than the potential savings.

Ask yourself this question, do you buy the extended waranty on your TV at home? How about your stereo? Why or why not? Yes, the Element is more expensive, but the same theory. You either buy them, or you don't.

I know that really did not help, but gives you more to think about.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In my experience with Honda, if they discover a "design flaw," they will fix your car or honor an extended warranty for a longer period of miles. Case in point: my 2001 Accord. The transmission has been ruled a "problem" with these cars (mine was replaced under the 36000 warranty), and Honda sent us a letter stating that all 2001 Accords' transmissions are now backed by a 100,000 mile warranty. This is the kind of service you should expect from American Honda.

So in my opinion, NO, you don't need to buy a 2200 dollar warranty. Hope this makes the decision easier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went back and forth on the warranty, in the end, decided not to get it. Dealer actually came down under $700 for 7 years, 75000 miles. Everybody that I know that has a Honda raves about their reliability. I figure if I change my mind, I'll buy one later.
Concerning financing, I picked up mine Thursday and took Honda's 2.99% financing. I thought it was nationwide, but maybe it's just on the East Coast.
Good luck with yours. You have to decide what you are comfortable with.
I love mine, even though it is now covered with snow.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's a Honda - don't need it. many moons ago i bought a nissan w/extended warranty never used it. When I traded it in, I got back 65 bucks after spending over $1000 for it to get lower interest rate - NEVER AGAIN!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
HONDACARE EXTENDED WARRANTY

We have been selling Honda Care Warranties on the S2000 site and after vjoining this site I have noticed that there have been questions as to how much they cost. These numbers represent a substantial discount. If there are any questions I can answer please e-mail me.

2003 Honda Element

$50 Deductible Policy;
4yrs/60k mi = $445, 5yrs/60k mi = $505, 5yrs/75k mi = $575, 5yrs/100k mi = $660,
6yrs/75k mi = $610, 6yrs/100k mi= $730, 7yrs/75k mi= $650, 7yrs/100k mi=$835.

$0 Deductible Policy;
4yrs/60k mi = $470, 5yrs/60k mi = $545, 5yrs/75k mi = $635, 5yrs/100k mi = $720,
6yrs/75k mi = $665, 6yrs/100k mi= $785, 7yrs/75k mi= $715, 7yrs/100k mi=$900.

Eligibility;
Up to 24 months or 24,000 miles from original registration date, whichever comes first. No surcharge.

Up to 36 months or 36,000 miles from original registration date, whichever comes first, there is a $60 dollar surcharge.

Up to 42 months or 42,000 miles from original registration date, whichever comes first, there is a $160 dollar surcharge.

If anyone wants a quote for any other Honda models please contact me.
And remember, NO sales tax no matter what state you are from.

Jeff or Gina
Balise Honda
1371 Riverdale Rd
West Springfield, MA
413-788-4097
NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS
e-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
71 Posts
hi...i might get an extended warranty on my E once it comes in....i have never purchased one before , and was wondering if some owners might post what you paid for yours....or what you think is fair....please be specific...thanks !!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got the extended warranty for my EX. It is the MAP policy (6 yrs, 75,000 mi) and I purchased it for $1751. I have never had an extended before but I am going to keep my wagon for a while.

Also, I was able to negotiate a 3% interest rate on a 5 year loan with purchase of the vehicle. They got this rate from Chase Bank. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I just purchased my Honda Element last week and I love it. I opted to go for the extended warranty on the vehicle but I'm having second thoughts about it. Does anyone recommend or oppose buying the extended warranty? I usually oppose buying them, which is why I'm on the fence. Of course Honda automatically offers a 3yr 36,000 mile limited warranty.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Major Element

1 - 20 of 592 Posts