• No

Votes: 79 52.7%

• Total voters
541 - 560 of 592 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Warranty Extension?

Hey EOC. I have almost 35k miles on my 06 EX.
Anyone think I should get the warranty extended? And how would i go about doing so?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Your Call

Do your research about the company . I don't believe the extended warranty is through Honda. In today's economy its a crapshoot whether or not the company will be there when you file a claim.

Doubtful that you will ever get your money back out of the warranty.

READ THE FINE PRINT.

I would take the money you are going to use to buy the warranty and put it inflation adjusted US Treasury securities and leave it there until you sell the car. And if you need a repair use the funds. Pick maturity dates on the securities that work for you.

Fred

·
Registered
523 Posts
From what I was told from the dealer you can only buy an extended warranty within the first few thousand miles of ownership. Extending it is not an option with HondaCare. I have an alternate warranty company, MPP Co, and they will not extend it either.

Chrysler would allow you to extend it as long as you were still under warranty. Kind of dumb to not allow someone to extend if it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To Honda Care or not to Honda Care?

Hi everyone,

I just bought an '09 EX and the dealership has given me until the end of month to consider purchasing an extended Honda Care warranty. He offered a "discounted" price for a 5 yr/60k extension for $1220. I'm pretty sure that price sucks, and that I could get him down much lower.

But my question is should I even bother purchasing an extended warranty? I hear mixed things about it and was wondering what the forum thought. If I were to purchase one, what's the optimum length/mileage package?

Thanks a lot!

Johnny

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
50 threads merged. At the risk of sounding ornery ... if people would read the threads that are already here, they wouldn't have to ask the same question over and over.

This megathread focuses on the questions of whether or not to buy an extended warranty; Honda Care vs. third-party warrantees; and cost. Expect to see another merged thread soon on members' questions about what voids a warranty (modifications, failure to follow recommended maintenance schedule, having service done by a non-Honda shop).

P.S.: Ignore the poll. It was one of the threads that were merged.

·
Registered
392 Posts
here is my thing, I bought a third party warrenty run by my honda dealer ( he is a meag dealer of like 8 car brands). It cost $850 for 70K 7 Year. I just got my 04 a new transmission and it cost me only $76. $50 deductable and $25 in shop supplies.

My rule never have a warranty that runs out before you are done making payments.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dealer Warranty?

I've been offered a dealer warrany on the '06 E I just purchased. It has 60,000 miles. Would cost me $1800 for 5 years or 60,000 more miles, whichever occurs first. Deductible of $100. Is this a good deal? Would you pay the extra to be covered? Is bumper to bumper coverage.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Please see existing threads on topic. Thanks.
:rolleyes: I don't see any threads when I do a search on "dealer" or "warranty" on this particular price and specifics. If you can direct me to one, that would be a lot more productive. Just saying :)

A lot of people are not very good at naming their threads in a search-productive manner.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
86 Posts
50 threads merged. At the risk of sounding ornery ... if people would read the threads that are already here, they wouldn't have to ask the same question over and over.

This megathread focuses on the questions of whether or not to buy an extended warranty; Honda Care vs. third-party warrantees; and cost. Expect to see another merged thread soon on members' questions about what voids a warranty (modifications, failure to follow recommended maintenance schedule, having service done by a non-Honda shop).

P.S.: Ignore the poll. It was one of the threads that were merged.
In my and others defense, if Vbulls search engine wasn't so sucky, it would prolly help a heck of a lot. I searched 6-7 times before I finally found this thread.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok have read through quite a few pages of this thread and my 06 has 60,000 miles on it, so it doesn't qualify for the myhonda warranty. The dealership is offering me additional 60,000 miles for $1700, which I have figured out is way too much money.

SO....what IS a reasonable honda bumper to bumper full extended warranty price?? If I can figure that out, I will offer him that with a "take it or leave it" attitude...if he don't take it, I'm leaving it :D

Are there any other places you can get a honda full extended warranty for vehicles over the 35,000 mile limit on myhonda?

And if this has been answered, please don't tell me to go read all 50-some pages of this thread to find it and just help me out, I'm on my blackberry for heavens sake.

·
Registered
86 Posts
One data point: I got 7-year/100K Honda Cares for a grand when the car was new in '04. Make the best deal you can.
Right, when the car was new....mine is an 06 and has 60,000 miles on it. Honda care doesn't offer warrantys from their website for over 35,000 miles. So I'm confused as to why the dealer can offer that (it's honda, not third party) when I can't find anything for older cars via honda online.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Extended Warranty worth it?

Hey Guys,

Do you think getting an extended warranty on a 2009 E is worth it? I've negotiated down to $1,300 for an 8 year, 120,000 mile comprehensive (bumper to bumper) warranty from Honda (picking it up at the dealer tomorrow morning). I've always believed in having a piece of mind, but all I can think about is this Honda fanatic I spoke to last week telling me, "Why would you get an extended warranty? It's a Honda, man. These things last forever. You don't need a stinkin' warranty."

I think I'm going to still get it.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
defenitely get it. No car or company is immune to messing up. I just bought my element and the first thing I did was negotiate an extended 100,000 mile warranty. I figure there is going to be no fixes or problems that I will have to worry about for the next 100000 miles and that alone made me feel great?

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Get it, I had one on my Acura as well as the E.
At that price, if you have the car for only 5 years,
thats only $260 a year for peace of mind. Well
worth it in my honest opinion.

·
1,049 Posts

I disagree with the above people.

I guess you can put me in the "Honda Fanatic" column.

I currently own 3 Honda's:

2003 Honda Element - 56,000 miles
2004 Honda Element - 140,000 miles
1995 Honda Accord - 240,000 miles

Let's talk about the 2004 Element since an Element is what you're buying. Not including recalls/tsb stuff the only "problem or issue" was that the air conditioner clutch coil gave out. I put a new compressor on it since the labor to just put the coil on was more than just the R/Ring the compressor because you have to take the compressor out of the vehicle to put a coil on it.

That said we have had no other issues with our Element and she runs like the day we bought her. She does NOT burn any oil between oil changes. (10,000 mile change interval with royal purple synthetic)

Now, if buying the extended warranty helps you sleep at night then go for it. Only know that imho you are throwing your money away.

It IS a Honda and if you change the oil and do the maintenance stuff then it will last a LONG time. I expect to see 300,000 miles easy out of each of my Elements.

541 - 560 of 592 Posts