Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get an extended warranty for my honda and when I spoke to the service advisor and warranty rep they both said Zurich is better than Honda Care for an Extended Warranty. I tried finding out how or why this has changed since Honda won a settlement in 2009 to halt extended warranty sales over the internet but I keep getting dated info pre-settlement.

Does anyone have an insight into this issue? Seems there are more options/terms with Zurich than Hondacare but I rememeber my dealer praising Hondacare when I was buying the car, what changed?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
70 Posts
but I rememeber my dealer praising Hondacare when I was buying the car, what changed?
The commission structure on warranty sales? Dealerships often make more selling an aftermarket warranty other than HondaCare.

I prefer the manufacturer's packages, but the aftermarket stuff can be good too. Opens up the possibility of using any ASE certified mechanic, so it can be a positive experience for you, if the mechanic will accept it and do your paperwork with the company. Otherwise you may be making the claims yourself. Having made many such claims as a service writer, I can tell you its a slight inconvenience.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was inclined to believe; that there was a stronger incentive to sell Zurich. I have the Hondacare on one of my vechicles (havent used it yet) but I dont know if the incentive is there for me to buy one over the other. I guess I will have to get more details on price to decide, the warranty rep just skipped over it like it would be a stupid decision. Is there one honest person that deals with the customer at a dealership? Ugh.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As a follow up, I spoke to the warranty rep and the prices for two fairly comparable plans are like this:

07 Honda Oddessy (20k miles on it)

$0 deductible for both plans:

$1,480 for 75,000/6 years - Zurich plan
$1,850 for 85,000/5 years - Honda Care

Both plans are very similar in coverage and we are averaging approx 7k miles a year for milage.

The service advisor and warranty rep say Zurich is great to work with and most searchs I've done came up with a similar feeling. However, the idea of getting someone other than Honda to back the warranty leaves me wondering if the other backer will have any interest in keeping me happy after I bought the warranty (things change fast in this day and age). In all likelyhood we will reach the year cutoff before the milage which in addition to price makes Zurich more appealing.

Does anyone here have an extended through Zurich?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts