Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 1.25" hitch installed already.mafter a bit of research, kinda wish it was the 2" when I bought it...

I'm thinking about getting a box or a cargo tray with a tie down bag. I need to haul blown glass art, which is packaged well in foam bags (with or without a container) Since the roof max weight with the rack is 165 lbs, I think I should go with a hitch storage mod.

Any recommendations?
:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can only speak of the hitch mounted boxes. I have a hitch mounted swing away Rola and a Thule Terrapin. The Rola comes in 2 pieces, the hitch mounted tray and the actual cargo box. The Thule is one piece. I bought the boxes in anticipation for my trip on Rte 66 next year. I know I can only use one but wanted to try both out and they happened to be available on Craigslist in February. At this time I prefer the Thule over the Rola.

I recommend the swing away model as oppose to a tilt version as you can lower the tailgate. With a tilt version, you won't be able to do so. Thule replaced the terrapin with a tilt version. You can find both on eBay and Craigslist occasionally but grab one if you find one locally.

Where are you located?

Let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking of going roof box, I've been searching craigslist to find something pre-owned, I just want to keep back of the vehicle open for towing if I put a hitch on

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you go with roof box don't forget about drive thru clearance! I have seen a lot of bikes messed up because of this

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you go with roof box don't forget about drive thru clearance! I have seen a lot of bikes messed up because of this
Plus the lifting of your packaged blown glass. You didn't state how heavy each of them are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts