• Keep using factory amp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking of bypassing the factory amp on my own as when I turn my aftermarket deck i installed up to the max without distortion after awhile i can smell the stock amp cooking and i know its because of my high level RCA outs. So I was wondering if my kenwood (22 watts rms) would sound as good or better then the factory amp(18 watts rms) and this isn't counting the sub because i have an aftermarket one installed. Also, Because of the higher level RCA outs i was wondering if it would boost the rms rating enough to where I should leave it in until i have the money to buy a 4 channel? Any reply will be appreciated! Also please explain why you chose that reason

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yes bypass OEM amp, but you do not need to upgrade the wire unless you add an amp capable of much higher power levels.

There are a lot more factors than just power levels that dictate what amp will sound better than another. The OEM system used balanced outputs, which means your "high level" RCA outputs are most likely under driving the system. The internal component quality on the aftermarket's internal amp is far better than the OEM amp's internals too, which can make for a much fuller & robust sound as well.

& that smell you are experiencing while blasting the system at full tilt is from your speakers voice coils burning, not the OEM amp. Keep it up & they will kick the bucket in no time.
That is a tell tale sign that you are driving a severely clipped signal to the speakers, whether you hear it or not, & is a very easy way to destroy them. Even a tiny amp when driven into clipping territory can melt down a speaker rated for far more power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts