Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks , I am planning on upgrading my speakers to a set of Focal componets. Have a set in our miata with a jl audio amp and love them.

My question is, if I keep the factory head unit ,how hard will the install be :confused: using a seperate amp?

Or would it just be better to wait and replace the factory head unit?

If I replace my head unit will it cause any issues with the keyless entry?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
To my knowledge the stereo and keyless entry are completely separate components. I added KE to my LX and also upgraded my head unit. No problems. We were discussing in another post whether or not it was wise to upgrade the stereo system and keeping the stock HU. I think it's a good idea if you want stock looks but I would add a device such as the JL Cleensweep especially if you are going high end such as focal speakers. But the cleansweep costs as much as a new HU and the Element has a standard double DN opening. So I would suggest a new HU also.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
To my knowledge the stereo and keyless entry are completely separate components. I added KE to my LX and also upgraded my head unit. No problems. We were discussing in another post whether or not it was wise to upgrade the stereo system and keeping the stock HU. I think it's a good idea if you want stock looks but I would add a device such as the JL Cleensweep especially if you are going high end such as focal speakers. But the cleansweep costs as much as a new HU and the Element has a standard double DN opening. So I would suggest a new HU also.
nail on the head there. putting focals in with the stock deck would be pointless unless using a cleansweep, rockford 360, or an audio control piece like gibronin said, and even still i wouldnt do it due to the limitations on aftermarket connectivity devices like ipods, bluetooth, and the million other things people want streaming thru their radio these days. and even if you go woth a cleansweep type device the units are pretty much setup at a fixed volume level and controled by and external volume knob so that the frequency responce curve output of the headunit isnt all over the place like it is when a stock deck's volume changes. if you insist on keeping it use the PAC AOEM-HON20 and maybe some sort of equlization like the kicker KQ-30 or the audio control dqxs after it before the amp so you can at least use your stock deck's volume controls and stuff if you are looking to keep the factory appearance and not have extra knobs like that of the cleansweep. dont get me wrong, it is a great piece developed by a great bunch of guys, but i dont care for not having the ability to use the deck itself for volume and aux in.

oh yeah, and they only ever did the keyless built into the radio with the 96-98 civic. they didnt do it again after that as they were threatened with all kinds of lawsuits because of that due to the domelight being routed thru the radio too and it not working if the radio was removed, which was a "safety" concern.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Aftermarket amps and speakers off of the stock head unit work fine. I am running a set of DLS front speakers off of a Rockford amp which is hooked to the stock radio outs and it sounds great! I used a Audio Control 4.1 that I had left over from another build I did to convert from balanced line to non-balanced. There are a few amps now that have balanced line inputs built in, one manufactuer is JL. I would keep the stock radio and run the balanced line outs off the radio directly to a JL amp.

I also am using a Peripheral interface to run my iPhone off of the stock radio. It allows me to control my iPhone from the steering controls, charge my phone and it sounds great!

John

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Aftermarket amps and speakers off of the stock head unit work fine. I am running a set of DLS front speakers off of a Rockford amp which is hooked to the stock radio outs and it sounds great! I used a Audio Control 4.1 that I had left over from another build I did to convert from balanced line to non-balanced. There are a few amps now that have balanced line inputs built in, one manufactuer is JL. I would keep the stock radio and run the balanced line outs off the radio directly to a JL amp.

I also am using a Peripheral interface to run my iPhone off of the stock radio. It allows me to control my iPhone from the steering controls, charge my phone and it sounds great!

John
so where did you mount the four.1?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I forgot to mention in my last post that because you are using balanced line the signal is super clean. Mine has no noise at all!! I can put in zero bit disk with the engine on and crank it up with no noise at all.

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
speaker ?

thanks guys, I kind of figured I'd need to change the head unit as well. Hmm
now , as I can't do all at one time should I just change the speakers for now and wait to the rest?
I was looking at Focal 165-CA1 ,6.5inch I would think that the factory headunit and amp should power these o.k any thoughts guys? And can componets at a later date when I change HU and amp

I have some long drives coming up getting our daughter for thanks giving and Xmas breaks, would be nice to have a better sound going on in the car.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
oh yeah, and they only ever did the keyless built into the radio with the 96-98 civic. they didnt do it again after that as they were threatened with all kinds of lawsuits because of that due to the domelight being routed thru the radio too and it not working if the radio was removed, which was a "safety" concern.
Did they really consider that a safety concern? No Civic that I ever installed a radio in left without the domelight working.....I am sure you know that you simply connect the mint green/black to the mint green/red and viola.... People file lawsuits of the dumbest things :051:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Did they really consider that a safety concern? No Civic that I ever installed a radio in left without the domelight working.....I am sure you know that you simply connect the mint green/black to the mint green/red and viola.... People file lawsuits of the dumbest things :051:
it took most of the guys out there a long time before they firured that one out, but yes they did. there are still guys i get calling tech support today that dont understand why when they pulled the factory radio out why the dome light stopped working. amazing. and i thought that all those guys got weeded out by the state of the industry, guess not.:x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts