Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took the E in to get a rotation (at Discount) because the front tires (Falken) were looking very worn. I have only had them a little over 5k miles and they are down to 3/32 (?) in parts and on one even bald (= no tread) on the outer shoulder. The guy at the shop suggests I get an alignment check however I had the alignment checked and set about 500 miles BEFORE buying these tires due to a flat in the discontinued/backordered Michelin HydroEdge (still have 2 on the back).

Prior to getting the tires I had a strut replaced under warranty and the alignment checked after and rechecked because they screwed up the steering wheel alignment. I would drive straight, but the wheel had to be turned 30 degrees to the side. Just a tad off. :twisted:

Either way I am screwed out of some money on these tires but will get some pennies back because it had a 60k warranty. Consumer reports had them as poor tread life but this is a wee bit below my expectations. Anyway, my question is can my alignment be that off (doesn't pull in either direction) to where it can shred new tires before I need an oil change? The Hydroedge's look brand new still and have been on the car since 30-40k. I did not have them up front for very long prior to getting a flat and needing a replacement.

My other question is, do I take it to Honda for an alignment check or do I take it somewhere that was referred to me by said salesperson? I am suspicious of the quality of a "free alignment check". My hunch is that they don't do the laser alignment. Any feedback would help.

Oh yeah... don't buy those tires. They get caught in every groove and wobble all over the road. Who knows how well they corner, I think the car would roll before it would slide.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have about 20k on mine so far, the fronts are almost worn to the wear marker, but the rears barely look worn at all. I bet your alignment is the culprit.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have about 20k on mine so far, the fronts are almost worn to the wear marker, but the rears barely look worn at all. I bet your alignment is the culprit.
Just got off the phone with the dealership I took it to. No documentation of doing an alignment check even thought most people on here and another dealership say that is status quo when changing out a strut or working on the suspension. I will no longer be taking it to Bell Honda. They don't return calls anyway but are close to work.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have those same tires with 10k on them and they still look new. The also ride better than the stock sized tires. Definatly an alignment.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front tires were "toed in". Not exactly sure what that means, but it leads to premature tire wear. I decided to go up in size to 235/55/18 and got the Michelin Latitude Tour. They should last a lot longer than the Falken and I can already notice how much smoother the car is with the new tires on the back, and the 2 Michelin hydroedge on the front. Those Falken's were awful at catching in every groove on the road, I could not casually hold the wheel with those things. Even with proper alignment Falken is notorious for wearing out fast.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
The front tires were "toed in". Not exactly sure what that means, but it leads to premature tire wear. I decided to go up in size to 235/55/18 and got the Michelin Latitude Tour. They should last a lot longer than the Falken and I can already notice how much smoother the car is with the new tires on the back, and the 2 Michelin hydroedge on the front. Those Falken's were awful at catching in every groove on the road, I could not casually hold the wheel with those things. Even with proper alignment Falken is notorious for wearing out fast.
Here you go BB. Its a quick easy alignment guide. And just so you know, on
the E, and most honda's, you can only adjust the TOE. You can adjust the
camber if you add front and rear camber kits. For the most part, you wont
need camber kits unless you lower your E. I've found that tires like Falken and
Hankook are the kind where you get what you pay for. They can be cheap,
but they do not last. Michelin makes great tires, you should be happy with them.

http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so far I'm happy with my cheap Hankooks.they were rated good and they have 100,000 mile warrenty.
Ordered hancooks for my gf's Rogue. We are getting them put on this coming week. Consumer reports has them at their #3 rated tire for the all season category and are solid with tread life, but not as good as Michelin. We are saving about 40 a tire on her car though vs. the Michelin's I was suggesting (Latitude tour like I have). We'll see.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Toe will tear up tires very fast. I never take my car to honda go to a reputable tire shop and have it aligned I bet your toe is out. Let us know when u get it aligned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts